PDA

View Full Version : Thames River fishery

davew
02-01-2000, 10:15 AM
Can anyone provide information about the Thames River winter striper fishery? Can I get to them in my kayak (once the water warms up a bit)? Thanks for the help.
Dave

bdowning
02-01-2000, 11:43 AM
Yes, but my understanding is that most of the guys who are successful here anchor and deep jig (or use depth charge flyline) rather than drift. The fish for the most part are stacked up in tight schools right on the bottom, and a fish finder really helps. Usually the fish hold in Norwich Harbor off the town docks and also off the Thermos complex downriver. Sometimes they'll hit a fly or jig cast off the docks in the middle of the water column on a milder day, but shore fishing is pretty much a crap shoot in winter there.

There is a tackle shop in nearby Preston, CT (think it's Fish Connection?) that you may want to call. They pretty much know the ropes for this area and hopefully can steer you in the right direction.

One more thing: for the spots I mentioned, a Connecticut fresh water license is required.

-bd

grego
02-01-2000, 12:16 PM
Frank Daignault's book "Striper Hots Spots". Discusses a location on the Thames that can be fished from shore. I'm
pretty sure it was near a Power Plant outflow.
GregO

bdowning
02-01-2000, 02:43 PM
I believe you're talking about Montville Power Plant, just downstream from Norwich. Don't know whether public access is allowed though. Frank Daignault will supposedly be at the Centrum fishing expo Thursday, so I'll ask if I see him.

-bd

johnkelly
02-01-2000, 11:15 PM
Yes you can fish at the power plant without any hassle.It is a tough spot to fly fish but it can be done. Fish Connection in Preston,CT is your best bet on any info.

grego
02-04-2000, 12:29 PM
Here's the info directly from F. Daignaults book:

exit 79 off Rt-395. left onto Rt-163, right onto Powerhouse Rd. Park on right near RR tracks. Montville PP is on Rt-32 on the West bank. Tips: Powerplant outflow MUST be flowing to attract fish; Freshwater licence required before April 1st. Contact Ken's Tackle (860) 445-6888.

If you go, we expect a full report! :->}

GregO