PDA

View Full Version : Titanium/Aluminum Reel Seats?

lunkhead
03-02-2001, 02:15 PM
What are the objective merits of using aluminum or titanium reel seats in the construction of salt water fly rods?
How can I justify the added expense of an anodized aluminum or titanium reel seat?
Fuji graphite $5.05 (Wholesale);
Struble Titanium $98.30 (Wholesale);
Struble Aluminum $29.82 (Wholesale);
I have custom wrapped rods for almost twenty years and I understand the importance of spending money on quality components.
Based on my experience Fuji reel seats have performed flawlessly, require minimal maintenance, last forever and can easily be matched up with any size or type of fighting butt.
I just don't get why fly rod mfg's burn the money on reel seats when they could spend that money on improving other elements of their rods such as the blank construction & the size and quality of stripping guides.
Is this an instance where the perception of value rules?

Ray
03-02-2001, 02:30 PM
Speaking as a fisherman and mechanical engineer, don't get the titanium one. It's just another fad item. I used Pacific Bay anodized aluminum reel seat on a 7-weight I just finished.

Titanium offers a harder surface to resist wear from the reel. But the wear is so slight; it's not an issue. As for weight, the density of Ti = 4.5g/cc, and 6061-0 Al = 2.7g.cc

As for corrosion resistance, both will act the same. The anodizing of the aluminum, either hard or soft anodizing, or the titanium will resist saltwater corrosion. You should always clean your reel seat with warm water after exposure to a salt environment.

All in all the aluminum is the best bet. Spend your $ on good guides and quality cork.

Ray

lunkhead
03-02-2001, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the reply Ray, but I think you missed my point...

Ray
03-02-2001, 04:00 PM
It's without a doubt perception.

I spend 15 years cycling, and I can't figure out who is more ignorant, fly fisherman or cyclists. I once had a friend buy titanium water bottle cages for $30 each because "they must be better, they're titanium.

I bought my reel seat for $13. I like the look of the clear anodized ones. The same color as the $70+ titanium ones.

fishbuster1
03-02-2001, 10:55 PM
You broke the code! Graphite fuji real seats ARE the best for salt water fly rods. Spending good money for anything else is wasted money. Use the money you save to buy a better blank. In my years building rods and doing repair work for several local tackle shops I have never seen a fuji seat fail without the rod having been abused. I have also never seen a graphite reel seat get locked up by corosion or dried salt water.

New2thefly
03-03-2001, 10:31 AM
My .02 is as follows. Fuji graphite is, as previously mentioned, a great material. I personally like the anodized aluminum seats because in my opinion they look better. Titanium is just too costly when rod building ( unless a customer is paying) The gentleman who used the cyclist analogy is right on target! At some point spending alot of extra money brings only greatly diminished returns.