PDA

View Full Version : 13 Whaler and flyrod storage

jhurd
03-18-2001, 09:04 AM
Does anyone have a 13 foot whaler used for fly-fishing? If so, how do you store flyrods on the boat?

Thanks in advance...

Captcastafly
03-18-2001, 12:54 PM
We use a 20 foot Whaler and have ample gunnel storage, but in your case with a 13 length that's not possible. Your only solution might be vertical storage at your center console. Try not to limit your mobility of chasing a fish by not being able to walk around your boat. Also gunnel storage in a smaller boat might tangle you lines and limit your cast distance.

RJ
03-18-2001, 06:39 PM
I have a 14 foot, alum. Duranautic "Coastal" and store two rods above the seats in a two rod, gunnel set up down the starboard side. I'm right handed and have used this set up for about 4 years without any line catching on rods problems. If your a southpaw, you might want to store them on the left side. If you store the rods on your casting side, it tends to eleminate line catch 99% of the time.

My nephew has a BW 13' and he doesn't have a center console.
I did see one fitted for a CC in the Laguna Madre near Aransas Pass, Texas on a shallow water (Jack plated engine mount)fishing machine.

I don't remember how much bow to stern clearance you might have under the single board seats that model usually has! But, if you can fit a 9' fly rod under the seats, you might want to experiment with a rod holding system for two rods there.

There ain't a lot of room for extras on a 13' boat. But, if your going to use it as a one man (PC person) way to get at the fish you should have more than enough room if you pre-plan your assualts to one or two species each time you go.

"Travel light and take no prisoners!" should be your motto.
You will rule the inshore bays and rivers!
Semper Fi! RJ

ppatricelli
03-19-2001, 09:06 PM
The best solution I ever came up with on safe, non-rod-breaking storage that was low and out of the way was 9 1/2 (or longer for longer rods) foot pvc tubes with a groove cut out for the reel seat to fit into. How you mount the tubes depends on your gunnel setup but I had two on either side in my jet sled for four rod storage. You can mount the tubes with a bend along the side as the rod will bend inside with it. The advantage of this system is that you can stand on the damn tubes/rod and not breat the tip or rod. It's totally protected. And, being low along the side, completely out of the way of casting/line catching. I hope this works for you.
Peter Patricelli

jhurd
03-19-2001, 10:54 PM
There are a few things I should have mentioned in the original message:

1. I already own a SeaCraft 20 which is for sale. I know how to store rods in a larger boat, that's no problem. the boat is for sale because it costs a fortune to keep in the water and I prefer to fish salt ponds and rivers mostly.
2. This BW does not allow gunnel storage, at least under the seats.
3. I would rather avoid using the center console because sooner or later someone will grab the rods and break them.
4. If I put pvc tubes on the sides, I won't be able to slide the rods in since the boat there is only 4 feet of extra space...

Thanks for the right-hand side feedback. I'll probably try to place them on the right now..

I'm considering having Leonardo Davinci, a nickname I gave to a local woodworksman of extraordinary talent (and price) to make a box that opens fully sideways, so that the rods can be placed from above and then the box closed... My only fear is that it will be heavy and improperly weight the boat...

Just thought I'd see if anyone has ever encountered this dilemma...

Thanks,

Fleyfisher

ppatricelli
03-20-2001, 06:54 AM
For what it's worth, four feet of clearance is more than enough unless the tubes are way down on the floor. Rods bend and you slide them in guides to the center. In my sled I had only 2 feet of clearance and a six inch drop and it worked fine.
Just one of many solutions.
Peter Patricelli

jdeno
03-20-2001, 09:29 AM
I had a 15' skiff with bench seats and rigged something like the following. http://www.cabelas.com/texis/scripts/store/+/CatalogDisplay/displayPOD/CabFALL1998/CabFALL1998AUAKAB/IB257B?format=search The Cabela's picture shows a rack for three rods... mine was for four. In any case I cut and routed grooves in a couple of decent looking oak boards say 5" x 12" that I screwed these racks to. I then secured the racks/boards to the bench seats using two bungee cords each. This is inexpensive and very functional. Not sure if you have bench seating. I now have the racks mounted over my work bench and store three rigged rods there all season. Good luck!

RJ
03-20-2001, 11:54 AM
Your getting beyond the KISS principle that is mandatory for boats under 16 feet. Peter P's pvc tube idea is ideal.
But for a 13' boat, you may wish to consider just covering the last 3 to 5 feet of the tips in two seperate tubes. Small enough in diameter to allow the passage of the rod tip is all you need. The spread between the two tubes or even three tubes would be up to you. The lower portion of the rods and the reel seat w/ reels can hangout in secure rubber mounts attached to the gunnel above the seats.

How many people do you plan on fishing from this craft?

If it's just you and a very good and agile friend CC verticle rod storage may be the only solution. If you intend to use this as an individual fishing platform for your self the CC storage maybe ok too. Storing the rods for travel and during casting - is in my opinion a side gunnel(above or below the seats) the way to go. Catching your fly on an upright rod is messy!

The wooden box idea, sounds like a large,perminant addition to provide long time storage for a minimum number of rods.

Everything in a small boat is a trade off. Take a morning off and draw different visions of your needs for an hour. Then spend two hours at the local Home Depot or Lowes wandering about and visualizing how your going to make your dreams a reality. Buy what you need and take it home and put it together. Even if it doesn't work, it is therapuditc to the max. Good luck Fleyfisher! Life is short and it is your job to see that you enjoy its small pleasures.

RJ

Quicksilver
03-20-2001, 09:54 PM
As someone who goes out in a truly small craft I offer the frugal and simple elagance of velcro straps.

jhurd
03-20-2001, 11:21 PM
Thanks for all the great feedback!!

My only concern with velcro straps and half-exposed rods is that sooner or later someone will step on them or grab them when the boat moves, leading to more $10 shipping charges back to sage and loss of rods for 6 weeks...

ppatricelli
03-21-2001, 09:18 AM
My point exactly. I can attest that even the partially exposed butt section of a 10 wt will not support the weight of a foot with a person above it. The only absolutely safe storage is to surround that rod completely, as with a PVC tube. The florida flats boats seem to have storage where the tip is inserted in a tube running into the bow compartment and the butt section is exposed, BUT that section is well under the gunnell overhang, 6 to 12" off the floor, and flat against the side of the boat. I still think that someone stumbling could come up with his foot and rake downward off balance with bad, if not worse results.
No one mentioned it, but upright rods have their tips exposed and the real problem is not that they catch your cast but that a fast flying weighted clouser or like can either take a tip off cleanly, or at least fracture the fibers such that it fails eventually.
And, since Sages's replacement policy was mentioned, I just got back a 4 wt blank after my lab decided to fold it from an upright holder over the gunnell of my new sled, which doesn't have secure rod storage YET, and their SHIPPING charges are $20. So the total cost of replacement is now $60. Better than new replacement costs, but enough to demand attention to rod safety
Peter Patricelli

RogerStg
03-21-2001, 10:37 AM
If you don't think 4 feet is enough room, consider slicing the tube in half horizontally for the first couple of feet to create a removable section that can be refastened with velcro, wire ties, etc. This will give you extra room to insert the rod, and provide protection for the area once the sliced half is re-attached.

Tuna
03-21-2001, 04:14 PM
Yea, the velco approach may have risks, but oh boy simplicity.

That's (velco) how my pop rigged his 13 foot whaler. We managed 4 fly rods (2 on each side) easily. Although exposure to feet etc was a problem, it was sure nice to be able to get a rod out quick.

Wish I could have afforded two boats and got that boat from him - it was tough getting through chop (OK, it was like swimming you got so wet), but it made a fantastic little flats boat (a bit more practical than my 22 foot whaler).