PDA

View Full Version : tackle advice

jjs
03-22-2001, 12:42 PM
Hi all:

Iím relatively new to saltwater fly-fishing and, as a result, have a couple questions: Iím interested in both fishing the flats for bonefish, permit, and mid-sized tarpon, and bluewater fishing for intermediate species, like dolphin, roosterfish, pacific sailfish, etc. Can I get away with using one rod size for all of the above—say, a 10 wt—or do I need to ante up for a couple of different rods? Also, would one reel do the job or would I need to pick up a couple of different models? I can afford to splurge a little, but buying two quality rods and reels to start is a little much, and Iím thinking a single great tackle set is better than two adequate sets. Am I way off base? Thanks for your help.

Jeff

Htrjr
03-24-2001, 04:56 PM
If, your Andy Mill you might be able to do Ok with the 10wt. But the larger fish,like Sailfish,depending on fish size,will give you a run for the money.12wt would be the way to go. As far as fly reel's go,you need in the range of 350yd's ,so your looking at a large reel.

fishbuster1
03-31-2001, 08:31 PM
To do all that you are asking you need at the very least 3 rods an eight, a ten, and a twelve. Eight and ten weights are available at reasonable prices but to handle tarpon or sailfish you will need some quality equipment.

flyfishfan
03-31-2001, 10:23 PM
My advice from real experience, is have 2 rods, the reasons are as follows, if you travel that far an you break a rod. If you fishing blue water say for sails you'll want a 12wt with a big reel (gulfsteam or abel 4or5) when a dorado shows up youll want to pick up say a 10wt with a fly or even another rod with a wire leader for wahoo, kingfish, etc.
also bones, permit and medium tarpon (80Lbs), bones are 8 wt maybe nine. permit and med. tarpon is definately 10 wt stuff.
feel free to e-mail me with questions.