PDA

View Full Version : Motor for canoe

PMcHallam
02-03-2000, 12:38 PM
<P><FONT color=black face=Verdana,Geneva size=2>My fleet consists of one 15' Old Town canoe and I've been thinking about putting a small motor on it to get around bays, estuaries, etc.&nbsp; Any recommendations on make, gas or electric, expected dollars to expend? </FONT></P><P>&nbsp;</P><P><FONT face=Verdana size=2>Thanks,</FONT></P><P><FONT face=Verdana size=2>PAt M.</FONT></P>

rel
02-03-2000, 03:23 PM
<FONT color=black face=Verdana,Geneva size=2>Pat M.- Myself I would go with a good electric motor because you won't put the fish down if you try manuvering around them. Also the small gas motors are not that dependable and their fuel capacity isn't good either. Just carry a good paddle in either case. rel</FONT>

PMcHallam
02-08-2000, 11:29 AM
<FONT color=black face=Verdana,Geneva size=2>Thanks for the reply, Rel</FONT>

MarshallWhite
04-04-2000, 10:55 PM
I have to disagree with the previous response. I have a 17' Old Town with a 2.2 HP Mercury that I mount on it. I try not to actually fish out of the canoe as much as I use it to beach myself and wade. I do, however have a pair of adjustable pontoons ( yes, I look like a nut) and even a casting deck that I made, and I will fish out of the boat. I think the gas motor will put down the fish if you're not careful, but thats when you use the paddle. I have a small half gallon jerry jug with mix in it when I go out, and the motor will go for two or three hours or so on a tank, and then I refill. It will go a heck of a lot faster than an electric. I bought it used for $300.