PDA

View Full Version : Crabs or what?

jhurd
06-17-2001, 02:30 PM
The Bristol area this morning was LOADED with cruising, Slurping bass in open, deep water. There were so many and I tried shrimp, crabs and sand eel patterns and caught absolutely nothing. These fish were extremely selective and were in no hurry to slurp whatever it was they were slurping. I figured this must be a crab hatch, but I only saw a couple of small 1" crabs in the water.. I didn't see much of anything....

Can anyone speculate what this commotion might have been about? I am bassless for the morning, though I did see tons of fish, even within 10ft of the boat they were slurping...

Brianf27
06-17-2001, 04:40 PM
they might have been sand eels. Small and on top. C~heck out Ken A.'s tying post.

schwilp
06-17-2001, 05:00 PM
It could be a crab "hatch" - though I've seen this
consistently for the past few year (bluefish too) on very
small juvenile sand eels. It took very small, very
sparse sand eel patterns (Like Pip Winslow's super
small pattern) on long fine leaders to catch these
guys.... It works best when you can see the fish you
are casting too to see their reaction... (sounds like you
tried this though?);

jhurd
06-17-2001, 06:15 PM
There appeared to be tiny slither things in the water, white and around 1/2" long, but they didn't move... Perhaps these are the juvenile sand-eels of which you speak?

I did not try sand eels of this size, mine were around 3-4" and I did not fish it directly on the surface - my shrimp was rigged on the floater.

I guess on the bright side I saw some beautiful fish and learned a thing or two that may one day make me a great fly-fisherman.

Thanks for the insight!

-Jayson

dlo
06-17-2001, 08:54 PM
Check out my note on Piscataqua flyrod frenzy. slurping on the surface is the way those zillion fish were sucking up the silversides. They wouldn't take anything but a 2 inch imitation. Dark top, shiny side, or something close to that.

DLO

dlo
06-17-2001, 08:55 PM
Check out my note on Piscataqua flyrod frenzy. slurping on the surface is the way those zillion fish were sucking up the silversides. They wouldn't take anything but a 2 inch imitation. Dark top, shiny side, or something close to that.

DLO

jhurd
06-17-2001, 10:23 PM
The problem I had was that I couldn't see anything in the water. The fish were eating 'phantom' bait. I will take all speculations and try the next time with each one! Thanks again.

Bob Parsons
06-18-2001, 12:55 AM
Juvie sandeels. You did not see them due to thier dark backs creating camoflage with the darker surface underneath.

I had a similiar situation earlier this week, Bass feeding like crazy but looking into the water I could see nothing.

Eventually I caught one on a sluggo and it coughed up some very tiny sandeels. Cut the sluggo down and started to get more consistent hits.
I was using a grey/sliver suggo. I have a feeling that if I had a chartruese one or fly I would have done better.

jhurd
06-18-2001, 01:30 PM
What length are these juvie sandeels?

Brianf27
06-18-2001, 06:01 PM
Probably 1/2" to 1 1/2".

sandell134
06-18-2001, 09:52 PM
sometimes they could be on small isopods as well i like to throw small pale colored flatwings on floating lines in either super light olive or gray with small strips or even small gurglers can work good luck

Corey

murph
06-19-2001, 08:28 AM
Fished that area Saturday. There have been crabs hatching from Portsmouth to Bristol, though not too heavily. We encountered rolling fish for a couple of hours. Caught them on a silverside pattern but pulled many up on top with 1 ounce poppers. We went top to bottom and were most sucessful on top. Both blues and bass but the majority were bass. Good fish and very agressive.