PDA

View Full Version : MV.....flyfishing vs family

Brett
07-14-2001, 01:55 AM
Normally I have a week to divide my time between flyfishing and my family when we vacation at Martha's Vineyard each summer. This year, it's just a weekend. This makes the fishing times this summer that much more valuable.

My wife, as wonderful and understanding of my saltwater flyfishing obsession as any wife could be, has made it clear that fishing will not interfere with the brief family vacation. This leaves me with two options: Fishing for a few hours from midnight on Friday and Saturday night, or fishing at 4am or 5am on Saturday or Sunday morning.

I am always so torn as to which times are best to fish. Sure there are tide issues and other variables, but is one time generally more consistant when fishing MV in mid to late July? WHAT DO YOU THINK?

On a side note..........
MY STORY OF A STRANGE MORNING LAST YEAR ON MARTHA'S VINEYARD

Last year, I fished one morning just as the sun was coming up, and saw so many fish jumping at the shoreline I thought I had died and gone to heaven. There were fish everywhere!As soon as my fly hit the water I had a fish on, but realized after about five to ten seconds that it was not a Striper. The fish only took a minute to bring to shore, and I saw that it was a fluke. I hurried to pull the barbless hook out of it's mouth and get my fly back in the water before all the fish were gone. In an instant, I had another fish on and replayed the entire scene that had occured just moments before. After taking a long hard look, concentrating on the long stretch of shoreline displaying an endless number of splashing fish, I realized that these fish were all fluke. They must have been in the tens of thousands, and you could grab them with your hands right from the shoreline. I have never seen anything like it. I have never seen so many fish in one place at one time. I've seen schools of blues and bass travel up and down south beach a hundred times, but I've never seen anything like this! I was immediately disapointed that these fish were not bass or blues, but at least I didn't go home skunked that morning!