PDA

View Full Version : Spots on the Cape

heintzey
07-17-2001, 09:53 AM
I am going to S. Yarmouth next week. Can anyone give me ideas where to fish. I have been to Nantucket many times, but never to the Cape. I do not know where to begin in terms of location. I have a kayak. What places allow me to put in? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ray
07-17-2001, 10:37 AM
Take the short drive to Chatham and hop the Monomoy Island ferry ($15) at outermost Harbor. You can take your kayak, but I think this is a good wading spot. If you are casting a fly or throwing a jig, this is the best place to fish on the Cape right now. Use small flies with a slow retrieve. Read my report, and others, from Monday.

I prefer to fish from high to low tide, but you can find fish on the west side of the island all the time.

Good Luck,

Ray

thecanoe
07-18-2001, 01:07 AM
The mouth of Bass River is an excellent spot for Kayak fishing. I fished there last week on the first two hours of the outgoing tide. If that coincides with a morning tide it is usually flat out there. I was drifting about 100 yards off the jetty on the Dennis side.I caught many stripers in the 18 to 25 inch range. There were also a lot of fluke.Sometimes schools of blues come in. All were hitting slugos. You can drive all the way to the end of West Dennis beach and put in there. Plenty of parking. I'm not familiar with the parking on the Yarmouth side ,but I know there is a parking lot there also.
GOOD LUCK