PDA

View Full Version : Newport/Narraganset Bay 9-20 through 9-22

DuffyB
07-23-2001, 06:19 PM
Fished this area Friday through Sunday with limited success.
According to the reports, fishing is good. I must just be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Friday afternoon - looked for slug of blues that reportedly have come into the bay. Found nothing - skunked in 4 hours of fishing. Turned into 20 mile boat ride.

Saturday a.m. prime time - caught a 9 lb. blue and 6 lb. striper on Brenton Reef. Caught them both blind casting with no visible signs of fish. Then moved into the bay around the waters under the newport bridge, found stripers feeding on a flat, caught 4 from 24 to 27 inches. Fishing was over by 8:30.

Sunday a.m. - went to same spots at same time with no success. No visible signs of fish. Looked in upper bay from providence down to prudence in the p.m., nothing happening.

For me, fishing in the bay has not been great this year, I am hoping it will pick up soon.

If you fish this area, please post results.

Red
07-23-2001, 07:39 PM
The fish are on the move it seems, and for bass it's mostly a early morning, late evening, or nighttime deal right now. For sure, being in the wrong place at the wrong time is a very real possiblity right now. As for the blues that entered the upper bay (North of Prudence) most of them are small, around 2 to 3lbs. They came in w/ the peanut bunker, which are already pretty thick. The blues have mostly been up early in the morning (4 to maybe 7 am) and are pretty spooky. Don't forget the upper bay was a wasteland in late June and early July due to heavy rains and algae blooms. Things have returned to normal up there though, finally. As for your Sat. morning- consider it a success, several people I've talked to who were out that morning weren't so lucky. I've seen several fish in the upper 30's (inches) taken along Ocean Drive over the weekend at night. They are out there, but it is summertime. The upper bay was great this spring, but once mid June and the algae hit, productive fishing in the Upper Bay was almost impossible. The bunker are in place, hopefully bigger blues will move in soon. A few big blues (10 to 12lbs.) have been caught further down the bay, it shouldn't be too long before something happens.

Pete

meagwatt
07-24-2001, 01:13 AM
Just to let you know it is only the seventh month, 9-20 through 9-22 is two months off. I fished aroung the mouth of the warren river today during the am high tide for nada. Didn't see the blues everyone is speaking of.