PDA

View Full Version : Brenton Point & The Drive

michael
08-11-2001, 01:56 PM
Awesome morning!

And I didn't even start fishing until 8:45 AM. Took a coffee cruise out along the drive this morning and happened on a feeding frenzy of mostly bass working the reefs of Brenton Point. Fish were everywhere and most were within casting range. Numerous pods of both fish and birds were working all along both sides of the point. If they went down for a minute they popped back up in the white water right when you thought it was over. I left at 11:45, and there was still action going on. I managed fish on both spin and fly. There were some blues but the majority were hungry bass. It was tough competing with the real bait but all in all it was a great morning. What a sight watching the bass just roll over the bait in the white water. Best day of fishing and observing in a while. Should be the start of many good outings to come.

Red
08-11-2001, 11:27 PM
It didn't stop after you left, either. I think it was an all day (all night?!) blitz. I got out there this evening and it was almost the same scene you describe. Flyrod in hand I scrambled down the rocks and jumped into the thick of it. The biggest fish I caught were 32" (2 of them) although I saw a bigger fish (upper 30's) caught on a plug near me. I left around 9pm tonight and they had finally settled down a bit. They didn't seem very picky. Hopefully it will continue tomorrow.

Pete G.

michael
08-12-2001, 12:23 PM
Pete,

I was back last night between 5:30ish until about 8:00. It was better than the morning. I managed about half a dozen decent sized fish with spin gear then switched to the fly and literally crushed them. Biggest was in the lower thirties. All fish were at least 27 inches and better. They were pushing bait in the white water where I could have reached out and caught them by hand. It was that awesome. They seemed to come in waves. The action was hot then cool and then explosive. I almost left 4 or 5 times thinkning it was over and then bang, right back at you. This morning was great as well but not as great as last night. The fish were smaller too. Biggest being about 26 or so. I fished from 8:00 to 10:00 AM. Looks like I will head out again this evening. You have to take while the takings good.

rel
08-12-2001, 01:42 PM
michael- I almost headed down that way this AM but decided to try Westport one more time- blues came in yesterday for the first time this year. Everything looked really fishy but some one forgot to tell the fish. Managed a couple of twinkies though but no blues. Those fish may be headdee over towards Westport-I hope. I still don't like rock climbing. Ron

StriperHound
08-12-2001, 04:11 PM
I fished the early shift 4:15am to 6:30 am Sunday morning and the fish were not there. I managed a slammer blue of 15 pounds for my efforts but it sounds like the fish showed up after I left. I will try this evening

Red
08-12-2001, 10:23 PM
Michael,
I went at it for almost 16 hours straight today, after only 3 hours of sleep. A quick stop at Ocean Coffee and the Saltwater Edge late in the morning was the only break I took. I had bass early today (starting around 5am, I caught nothing prior to that), the biggest was 31", blues later in the morning 3 to 8lbs. As you said, the bass seemed to be a little smaller. For the most part the fish were at our feet again. You had to pull very hard when you hooked a blue, or one of his friends would chop your flyline. The afternoon was much slower, but still good. In the evening on the way out I stopped by King's Beach, an area I almost never fish and found bluefish going NUTS on the bunker that were pinned there. All bigger fish, between 6 and 9lbs. I have a lot of tying to do tonight. It's felt like fall out there these past couple days.

Pete G.

sterlings
08-13-2001, 10:18 AM
Great post - I'm glad you go into 'em.

One question...where is Brenton Point?

Thanks so much!

michael
08-13-2001, 10:33 AM
REL,

Too bad you missed it. By far one of the better weekends I've had in a long time. I'm hearing reports of lots of blue fish being there but I only caught one the whole time. That was Saturday morning, the second fish of the day. Saturday was by far the best outing, both early AM and in the evening. Most of the time I was solo for all the action. Sunday was good but more crowded and the fish in the morning were smaller. Sunday night wasn't as happening for me. Many more people and rougher conditions. Once I made the switch to spin gear, I all but missed out on any real action. I did see about 10 keepers caught.

michael
08-13-2001, 10:35 AM
Not a bad day. Biggest hassle of the weekend was the JVC Jazz Fest traffic. Thank god that is only one weekend a year. Glad to hear you had a great outing.

michael
08-13-2001, 10:37 AM
You must have missed it by only an hour or so. I didn't get out at the crack of dawn, but more like 8:00 AM on both days. Kind of beats the logic though. I have a feeling the action will dwindle a bit. It would be nice if it continued but we'll see.

michael
08-13-2001, 10:40 AM
Newport, RI. It's out on the drive and is the mouth of Narragansett Bay just across from Beavertail in Jamestown. It's rough and rocky so if you plan on making a trip, plan accordingly. Hopefully it will pay off for you.

sterlings
08-13-2001, 10:55 AM
Thanks so much. I was all over Narragansett bay this weekend...Sakonett point, Upper Bay, Point Judith and nothing doing. The only places that I skipped were Newport and Jamestown.

I'll try to make it down there.

Thanks again.