PDA

View Full Version : Words from Pres Herbert Hoover on fly fishing

bluewatr
08-22-2001, 09:47 PM
For the naughty blue shark boys:

To go fly fishing is the chance of washing one's soul with pure air, with the rush of the brook, or with the shimmer of the sun on blue water (hence bluewatr). It brings meekness and inspiration from the decency of nature, charity towards tackle-makers, patience towards fish, a mockery of profits and egoes, a quieting of hate, a rejoicing that you do not have to decide anything until next week. And it is discipline in the EQUALITY of men- for all men are equal before fish.

HERBERT HOOVER

DeanR
08-22-2001, 10:10 PM
I admire your courage and the strength of the passage you chose to quote.
I tip my glass and my hat to you.

Dean

bluewatr
08-22-2001, 11:37 PM
Dont know if he ever dressed up in girly underpants..... Dont really care. I stumbled across the quote and thought it was cool... Sorry to have affended you!!!! ha ha ha

lets not turn this into some out-rageously disfocused board.

Lets leave it at that!!!!

-mike

tight lines!

fishbuster1
08-22-2001, 11:38 PM
Something that should be required reading for everyone who uses this site is Tred Barta's story about flyfishing in the May 2001 issue of Sport Fishing called "Too Much For Me". I will quote from the last paragraph. "Don't get me wrong. I can really appreciate fly fishing. I like to experience hunting and fishing at their hardest levels. I prefer to stalk my quarry and enjoy the catch at 20 yards with a fly rod rather than at 400 yards with a trolled lure. I understand the philosophy, but it has gone too far. It's not a religious experience, not poetry. Since I'm giving advice today, if you want to be a fly fisherman, do as the Nike commercial says; Just Do It! Make it simple. Lose the attitude. Get rid of the Lexus, and buy yourself a pickup truck." Get the article read it in it's entirety. It is humerous and should be required reading for all of the new breed of salt water "Fly Fishermen".

Ray
08-23-2001, 10:44 AM
Very good choices of words to quote from each side of this issue of the "modern" flyfisherperson. I have noticed, and been guilty myself of stereotyping certain groups of people.

Here's by 2 cents. Let each of us, as individuals or groups, enjoy and practice our sport of fishing however we want. We should all appreciate the time we can spend fishing. In todays crazy world, this time is too precious.

If one guy likes to cast a fly and find it a religious and relaxing experience, driving his fancy car and wearing the latest gear,let him. Another may like to crawl along the canal and toss and eel or two, while driving his pick up, so let him too. Then there are those boat guys that I am jealous about.

The contributors to this board have been very helpful to each other. I have learned a lot about fishing spots from guys who have never picked up a fly rod. And inturn enjoyed teaching what I know about flyfishing to others.

tomthumb
08-23-2001, 11:17 AM
Man the moderator of this site is getting just a little toucht these days. Deleting threads that aren't the least bit offencive.

idm99
08-23-2001, 11:26 AM
I have never owned a lexus, but I have owned a few pickup trucks, I have fly fished for 25 years and bait fished and spun before that, and never thought of either as religeon or poetry. I have fished for and caught a wide variety of fish species and I have kept my share for the grill as well as putting back the majority. But I have never felt the urge to wantonly butcher a creature and throw it back in to be fed to its brothers in an effort to distract them from my lure.
That is the differance between you and I.

Iain

fishbuster1
08-23-2001, 07:47 PM
Get the article and read it! Have you ever released a fish that you knew would not make it? There is little difference. It's all part of the food chain of the ocean. It is a harsh place. I have also had sharks attack other sharks as well as tuna and weakfish as they were brought to the boat. Offshore fishing takes a different breed of fishermen. Those who are squeemish about the harshness of the sea need not go there.

DeanR
08-23-2001, 10:41 PM
What a manly man's man !!!

fishbuster1
08-23-2001, 10:44 PM
What is your point?

DeanR
08-24-2001, 07:16 AM
My point is obvious. Re-read this entire thread including your last post. Then maybe, you will get my point.
Dean

David Churbuck
08-24-2001, 09:21 AM
<P><FONT color=black face=Verdana,Geneva size=2>Ladies, mind your manners ....</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=Verdana size=2>dcc</FONT></P>

idm99
08-24-2001, 10:57 AM
fishbuster1,
you are right of course that the ocean, as with most natural enviroments is a cruel and often violent place. Sharks, and other predatory species, do what they have to to survive in this environment, and have adapted into wonderful eating, swimming killing machines operate at or near the top of the food chain. They also operate on reflex and reaction, with no logic applied to their actions. They are simply doing what they are - being a shark.
You seem to think that you occupy a place in this wild environment, where you can operate at the same unthinking barbaric level as the creatures around you. However you are not a shark. You can use logic if you choose to. And you can do what most other shark fisherman do - apply ethics and logic to your actions when you are at sea. This does not mean that you should stop fishing for sharks, but that you should do so in such a manner that respects your quarry for what they are: beautiful, wonderful, powerful and increasingly scarse.

Iain