PDA

View Full Version : Getting into makos

Soundking
08-25-2001, 08:34 PM
I have an idea of where to find some makos, but I wonder if the chumming is different from that of blue dogs? Should I fish my baits on above or under the thermocline? How do I tease one of these guys into eating a fly? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

venture
08-28-2001, 05:54 PM
I've never heard of a different method of chumming for different specific sharks. I don't shark fish but I am an avid blue water fisherman with some good shark fisherman at my dock in Montauk. They catch a Mako or Thresher when it comes into the slick period. There are different places, drifts, temps, etc that determine their odds on a prize.

If you are hell bent on catching a Mako, chum like crazy, keep pitch baits on board to throw at him when and if he arrives, get him close and throw him the biggest damn fly you got.

I guess you can set the baits, but if you want him on fly, I am confused as to what those hookless baits will do. Bringing everything, including blue dogs to the boat is your best bet. A lot of chum, chunks, and keep the pitch baits handy. Hey, if you get bored, through one to the dogs. Capt Howie

Soundking
08-29-2001, 12:20 AM
thanks a lot, I appreciate it.

UglyBoat
08-29-2001, 06:11 PM
I am an avid shark fisher off the coast of Maine and in my humble opinion there is no difference in the way we chum up blues versus makos as they seemingly haunt the same waters. We caught a 7 foot mako last year with the bait only 20' below the surface. Another time, we had a 6' mako come into the slick, and dropped a chum fly right on its nose which it instantly took. After a 2 hour fight and four spectacular leaps, the fish finally broke free. Oh well...this is my only experience with a mako on a fly, but if you pitch a fly and it is not interested, tease him (or her) with mack chunks until it gets hot then drop the fly in front much like blue shark fishing.If it takes, hang on! Good luck. A good site to check out for shark fishing tips is www.newenglandsharks.com.

venture
08-31-2001, 08:30 AM
Mac, A 7' mako probably pushes 200 or so pounds right? What's that feel like on a fly rod? I've heard that they are pretty nutty and fight like no other fish. Is that right. Please discribe the experience if you would. I'm very interested. Sharks are something that I just don't do but there is a real great crew of guys on a boat slipped two boats down where the guys are extremely avid, and love it, but no fly stuff at all. I would love to hook one up. The biggest game for us is school bluefin or yellow fin tuna on flies. That opportunity to catch them on fly uccurs in the fall about 25 - 30 miles offshore, close for Montauk standards. But I'd like to hear more about your experience with a 7' mako on a fly. Please post more.
Howie

UglyBoat
08-31-2001, 03:44 PM
Hi Howie...sorry if I misled you. We hooked a 6' mako on a fly which broke off after many leaps and a long fight. Truly an awesome experience. We guessed this fish to weigh 125-150lbs. The 7' mako we caught was on 50# stand-up gear and weighed approximately 250lbs. This fish was brought to the boat and we took it home to grill. I once heard that when you hook a mako, it changes your life. It sure did for me! The fly rod mako, the smaller of the two, took off on an amazing, blistering 200 yd run, and jumped twice during the run. It came out of the water about 15' in the air, twisting and somesaulting, before crashing back to the ocean. The fish sounded after the first run then rocketed back to the surface from way down deep. My rod was pointing in one direction and the fish came out of the water way to the left...it almost seemed like a different fish, there was so much belly in the line! It jumped once more, then I was able to pump it to the boat. However ,we were unable to subdue it or get a tail rope around it before it's tail eventually chafed through the leader. This fish was hooked off Monhegan Island about 15 miles offshore. The 7' we caught fought much like a blue shark for the first 15 minutes. That's what we thought we had at first. He took the bait and didn't fight too hard, but as we reeled it closer, it saw the boat and went berzerk! It immediately took off on a tremendous run and jumped twice, then we didn't see the shark until we had it boatside. This fish was caught in an area known as The Gulch, which is about 21 miles southeast of Portland, Maine. These fish are super fast, strong and have endurance. They are truly powerful beasts. A hooked, jumping mako is the most amazing things I have ever seen or probably will ever see and the power and speed of these animals can take your breath away. We actually had a videocamera on board when we hooked the 7 mako and got some great shots of it jumping. You can actually see the video clip if you go to this site: www.newenglandsharks.com Scroll down to the bottom of the home page and you'll see where it says "Here is a video of a hooked, leaping mako shark caught off the Maine coast aboard Dr. Robert Beebe's Grady White." Dr. Beebe is my uncle. Tom King runs the site and he is a shark guide out of Scituate, MA. He and I correspond regarding shark fishing and he asked if he could post the clip...enjoy!

fishbuster1
09-09-2001, 08:51 PM
The easiest way I know to describe the fight of a Mako is to say this - there is only one fish that healthy tuna marlin and bluefish (all regarded as extremely fast and powerful fish) fear, that is the Mako. The reason is that he can outrun them outmanuver them and outsmart them - enough said.