PDA

View Full Version : Offshore of Newport (for JK)

BlindSquirrel
09-25-2001, 05:04 PM
I managed to get up on sunday morning early enough (with a hang over) to get out to the mud hole. The results were pretty good.
8 albies to 10 pounds
5 bones between 2 and 5 lbs
3 Skippies to 6 pounds
we raised a white but he was only 20lbs or so and with that size mouth Very hard to hook.
Fish were eating sardines in the 4" range
Saw a lot of surface activity
one bone that we released back at the dock had a small scup in it gut.
Hope to get out one more time before the Nor-easters mix it all up.

OceanRunner
09-26-2001, 01:00 AM
Sounds like a great trip!

I'm up on the MA/NH border, and definately want to give those crazy fish a try. Do you know of any good guides down your way?

Thanks for the help.

johnkelly
09-26-2001, 08:57 AM
Hit the West wall in R.I. at first light. Stand on the wall, fish a good silverside imitation and cast, cast, cast, cast, cast, cast,cast.....you get the point. Most guys hook up blind casting so if the fish aren't making a good showing it doesn't mean they are not there.

Doc@CastleHill
09-26-2001, 12:01 PM
Great Report

I am heading out of Newport on Saturday in search of Hard Tails.
Where is Mudhole? Do you have coordinates (waypoint) I can add to my GPS.

Thanks

Doc

venture
09-26-2001, 02:29 PM
I beleive the mudhole that was refered to in the prior post is south east of block island. Check you charts. I don't know the TDs or lats. The area known for holding schools of feeding school bluefin at this time of year. The by-catch are false albies, bonito and skip jack. Methods used out there are either trolling or chunking, but if you want them on fly, you should set up a chunk slick with butterfish chunks, and do some blind casting, as well as looking for the fish in your slick. You may catch a decent tuna on a fly, while fishing for albies and bonito. .

BlindSquirrel
09-27-2001, 05:01 PM
23 miles due south of newport puts you in the area.
Because there is not a wreck or that type of structure they can be scattered. We found a 2 degree temp change and a lot of weed. The fish were right on top. It was really calm so seeing them was easy.
We did see 2 nice schools of skippies on the way in
(about 8 miles of the reef)