PDA

View Full Version : Groton Albies report 10/23

jens
10-24-2001, 12:34 PM
Took the day yesterday to give the albies my last shot of the year out of Pine Island. The fish are still there in decent numbers. They have been very hard (for me anyway) to catch lately, The bait I see spraying in front of them is very small. I fished all morning without a touch, and by 11:00 I vowed I would make my last drift, and hooked up. The first run absolutely smoked my fly reel! In a couple seconds I had about 100 yards of backing out, I could not stop the fish. I was fishing alone, and of course the wind was blowing me onto the rocks, but I managed to juggle the boat and the fish and land it. I don't have a scale, so this could just be another fish lie but a good guess would be 10 pounds! The biggest one I've caught. What a great way to end my season. This was my first year fishing for albies and was pretty good too, but fall chores and hunting call so the boat gets winterized this week. Go get em they are still around.

--Eric

LightTackle
10-24-2001, 05:27 PM
Good job, glad you hooked up one last time.. Haven't decided to pickle my boat yet but it def. has collected about a bushel of leaves so far..

Quit Wishin, Go Fishing!! RF

bigcamel33
10-25-2001, 11:14 AM
jens- glad to hear you had a good final outing, a ten pounder is awfully enticing. anyway, i am heading through connecticut on a long drive home tomorrow, wondered if there is a legit shot at some action from shore anywhere in the groton area or beyond? albies, stripers, blues whatever. Thanks in advance, suggestions welcomed of course by all. good luck, spring is just around the corner right?