PDA

View Full Version : Shad preparation

sterlings
10-30-2001, 02:07 PM
I've noticed a few posts lately, especially from R.I. & Conn mentioning shad.
While it is complicated to prepare correctly, shad can be a true delicacy and is almost completely underutilized by sport fishermen as a food fish. Below is a recepie that takes a while (ok, long time) to cook but is absolutely delicious when done right.

The first step begins immediately once the shad is landed. A 2-3 pounder will work best. Kill it quickly (thrust the fillet knife between the eyes, or squimish types can rap the fish smartly on the head with the knife handle) and pack it on ice at once! Once home, totally and completely scale every inch of the fish, then gut it being careful to remove all traces of intestine. Remove the head, and use kitchen shears or sissors to trim off all of the fins as close to the body as you can.

Then, cut the fish into steaks by slicing through the body every 3 or so inches down, and score each piece once vertically, all the way through to the backbone on each side. Put all of the pieces into a large glass bowl and add: 3/4 cup FRESH lime or lemon juice, 3 spoonfulls of Asian fish sauce (you can get this at most big supermarkets if you ask for it - at a specialty store ask for "noc cham"), a teaspoon of paprika, and a 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Mix thoroughly, cover and refriderate OVERNIGHT.

The next day, heat some peanut oil in a pan and add:
1/2 cup chopped tomato
1/4 cup chopped onion or shallot
2 or 3 cloves diced garlic (depending on preference);
1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped fresh ginger root

stir this as it cooks and after a few minutes add the fish and the marinade and cook over medium - high heat for five minutes. After this, add two cups of water, turn the heat down and let it simmer for 3 hours.

Serve over rice for dinner with a good french bread and dry white wine or cold beer.

If you are patient enough, you will find this meal interesting and delicious.

Good luck!

rockfisherman
10-31-2001, 10:26 AM
The shad we are catching in RI are hickory shad. Have you tried this recipe on hickories? TIA

sterlings
10-31-2001, 11:40 AM
well, no, I havn't tried it with hickory shad.
Don't see any reason why it wouldn't work though in fact, in Europe they do the same kind of thing with herring.

give it a whirl and let me know how it turns out.