PDA

View Full Version : This is the toughest time of year!!

DonOsmer
02-29-2000, 06:23 PM
As usual, now is when it begins for me. The fever that is! I recently changed jobs and am now in Quincy and our office is moving downtown just off the water. Great!
But that doesn't help me now. I really need to cast a clouser or deceiver or a Ray's or anything and retrieve until I feel that incredible rush as a, "fresh from the ocean striper", pulls hard at the other end of the line.
I can't help but remember the acres of top water action last season on the Merrimac. Casting, retrieving and hooking up on almost every cast. The incredible scene of 40"+ fish in shallow water, not touching a thing!!!
Watching fellow reel-timers like Frank D. and Tom S. out in the boat, as neither seemed like they could ever catch enough of the line-siders.
Well, enough of that! I just can't wait! I wonder if anyone else feels this way??
By the way, does anyone need a partner on a few weekdays this summer out of Boston Harbor??

See you on the water,

Don

JimK
02-29-2000, 09:51 PM
I can't wait either. I will give it a shot toward the end of March. I tried last year at the end of March but didn't hook anything until the second week in April. Maybe I'll try souther RI toward the end of March this year.

johnkelly
02-29-2000, 10:08 PM
Jump in the car and drive to Pulaski. Fished Pres. Day weekend and caught 6 steelhead with two over 16#. With this warm weather these fish will turn on as water+air temps. start to rise. This is an unbelievable fishery just 5 hours and change from Boston.
JK

DonOsmer
03-01-2000, 08:04 AM
John,
Some day I will have to give it a try! Right now, between taking solo trips to Vermont to snowmobile and work, I am not sure it is the best year to approach the spouse about it! But I can't say anything bad, she puts up with me throughout the season! And I know I can be fanatical about fishing!

Don

MDaoust
03-01-2000, 08:27 AM
JK,
Never fished Pulaski for steelhead though I heard numbers are down? What part of the river did you fish? what did you use? might give it a try considering I'll be in Chicago during the last two weeks in May, sad but true. My employer doesn't seem to understand I've been waiting all winter for that slot. They owe me big time!

frankd
03-01-2000, 11:23 AM
You said it Don!!
I'm thinking the holdovers will be swimming down the Parker soon. Meet you at the Dumma'this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Frank

DonOsmer
03-01-2000, 11:33 AM
Well, I can only dream of the being at the Dumma this weekend! Working on the Honey-do list. But I am not kidding, that I can be there the next weekend!!!!!! Just need to check those tides, come on warm weather!!!

See you on the water,

Don

JimMac
03-01-2000, 02:11 PM
Don - You may think downtown will be a great spot to be until you head towards the Aquarium at lunch and see fish breaking. It hurts to go back to work.

johnkelly
03-01-2000, 07:30 PM
I fished the fly-only section in Altmar. Numbers for steelhead have been down in the recent past but this year is been the best I've seen I awhile. I took all my fish except one on a Prince Nymph (size 14). Black stone flies the same size are the best bet. That is what they are feeding on as they move into and up the river. Six# florocarbon tippet was the ticket. The lighter you go the more hook-ups you'll have. From what I've heard from some hardcore steelheaders is March could be an awesome month.
JK