PDA

View Full Version : Cows

bluewatr
11-11-2001, 02:10 PM
Fly fished Waterford/Groton Area last two mornings. Caught several schoolies. However I have seen Several(15-20) very large bass cruising the coastline just feet from shore. Usually every half hour or so I would see 1-2 at a time. If I had to guess I would put these fish into the 35-40lb class. Some maybe even larger. However it has been very frusterating. These fish will not take anything I throw at them. I have tried various clousers, large deceivers, small deceivers, white semper, black semper, various silverside patterns, epoxy heads, pop fleys silicones, snake flies, squid patterns, nothing is working. The one thing I was not carrying was a crab fly and I think maybe that would have been the ticket. Anyone have any suggestions because I am out of ideas. The migration is happening now. This is the time to get the trophy!!!!!!!!!! FYI, I have not seen any albies since last week!

Thanks in advance!!

-mike

unogoblin
11-11-2001, 07:04 PM
Does anyone have any suggestion of what spinning lures I might use if I were to fish Waterford tommorow morning. I would consider bait, but I'm sure my bait shop will be closed at 4:00 am when I leave. Swimmers, poppers, deadly dicks, hopkins? I sure would love to finally get into a cow.

Albiemanmike
11-11-2001, 10:54 PM
If you are lucky enough to even locate those fish (big if) I would recommend throwing big swimming plugs, Danny plugs, 7" Mambo Minnows, Redfins, Atom 40, something in this range would be a good bet to get their attention. But if they are still as uncooperative as Bluewtr said they were don't be tied to just big stuff, be inventive and try alot of different things until you find the pattern that evokes a reaction from them. Persistence always wins out over stubborn fish. Sooner or later percentage wise you should be able to get at least a swipe or 2. Don't rulle out rubber imitations of the real thing as well, I have had success throwing rubber eel imitations with big fish. Hope this is helpful.

Tightlines,
Mike

stoochie
11-12-2001, 01:15 PM
9" Slugos