PDA

View Full Version : Where to wade the flats??

Millsglass
02-03-2002, 07:30 AM
I'm going to the Keys in March. Last year I tried to wade the flats and all I found was soft sand/mud. It wasn't a pleasent experience. I would appreciate and info on solid ground areas to wade and fly cast. thank you

Marley
02-06-2002, 08:20 PM
Long Key State Park. It doesn't open until 8 am, but the flats south of the camp ground are great. You'll have to pay the daily entrance fee, drive to the gate right before the camping area, park your car and then walk to the far end of the camp grounds. From there to the houses to the south is maybe a quarter mile but the flats are as good as your going to find. Just wade out and pick your spot. Good luck!
Marley

KiwiAndy
02-15-2002, 04:24 AM
there's another state park a few miles south of LOng Key, on the left before Marathon ( I forget it's name) and it has wadeable flats, it get's a bit boggy at the south end...but mostly it;s good..

KiwiAndy
02-15-2002, 04:29 AM
oh yeah....Bahia Honda State Park has wadeable flats I believe. E-mail the guides on this site...they're helpful.
I found a fantastic flat, on the gulf side of Conch Key at mile marker 63...sorta off to the left of the Bayview Inn motel..maybe 4 meteres out. Saw gobs of bonefish and tarpon at the top end. Reckon a kayak would get you there fine.

mwlgencon
02-20-2002, 03:31 PM
email me I'll tell you someplaces mwlgencon@aol.com