PDA

View Full Version : Nauset Oversand Permit

clouser38
02-17-2002, 12:56 PM
Hello All. I just purchased a Ford Explorer all wheel drive in hopes of getting out to Nauset's beaches this season (2002). I have no idea as to equipment that may not be required but you all have found helpful to have aboard. I usually fly-fish, but have great fun throwing plugs and occasionally some meat as well. I hope to learn the area enough to be ready for the fall fishing on my own. I would be grateful for any help in terms of starting out as a novice oversand driver. I am down in Falmouth, so this would be a once a week trip for me with the hope that when the fish are there I will be ready. Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob Parsons
02-17-2002, 01:19 PM
License
Registration
Full size spare
jack
Board for jack (size will vary from town to town. I use a 3/4 x 18" x 18" for sandy neck
low pressure gauge
15' of 1" rope or chain or nylon tow strap (again dimensions will vary slightly);

Most areas have a minimum airdown number. Sandy neck should be under 20 psi and depending on conditions you might have to go down to 10 psi.
Try the search feature and you should get more information.

Rinse vehicle well after going on sand.

Oh and you will need for the permit

clouser38
02-17-2002, 02:03 PM
Thanks Bob for the response and advice about the search feature (that I never thought to use!!). I am up to my eyes in projects and interests along with raising two young children (2 1/2 and 6 1/2yrs.) I always read your posts when I see something of interest here. Your replies are straightforward and honestly helpful. I am now going to install the software for the digital camera my lovely wife got me for Christmas. I hope to have the basics of that new interest mastered before roccus returns. I have to shut down to load the software, so I'll check in later. Thanks again.

rockfisherman
02-17-2002, 02:58 PM
Sorry to break this to you....I have an Explorer, and I love it...but it is a compromise vehicle...better on the highway (where I spend most of my time) and not so good on the sand (where I don't spend as much time as I'd like).

If your Explorer is like mine, you have on-demand 4 WD and 4WD Low. You will quickly find the on-demand is worthless on sand. Always use Low.

I don't know about Mass, but the RI Coastal Resource Management Council requires you to carry the following (pretty much standard) equipment:

Shovel - military or entrenching tool
(tow rope (or chain) 15 feet, load strength of 1,800 lbs., chain size 5/16") avoid chain--use a good snatch strap - they "give" and the spring will help pull you out without snapping and "holing" your radiator"
jack and support stand (minimum 18" x 18" x 5/8" plywood);
Street legal tires - snow or mud tires not recommended
spare tire
low pressure tire gauge (0-20 lbs);
first aid kit
fire extinguisher (Coast Guard Approved);
cell phone, or CB radio
flashlight.

Most folks use the miserable jack that came with their vehicle. Mistake. I carry a Hi-Lift jack and a bumper adapter that will really get you out of trouble.

#1 Use common sense.

#2 Air down. I am guilty of not doing this one, and have paid the price. Take your chances, and you may be shoveling. Especially on the back sand tracks...not so much the front beach.

#3 Run in 4 wheel drive. The myth...run in 2 wheel until you get stuck, then switch to 4 wheel is a myth. It will just get you stuck.

Bob Parsons
02-17-2002, 05:21 PM
Here is a link to Nauset beach info

<A HREF="http://www.capecod-orleans.com/OffRoadVehicleBeachAccess.cfm" >Nauset Beach</A>

RLD944
02-17-2002, 05:39 PM
I've been going over sand at Nauset for about 7 years. You don't need everything that you apparently need in RI, but those seem like good extras to have along. Here's what they require:

Shovel
tow rope
jack
jack board (I use 18 x 18 x 3/4 ply but that exceeds their requirement);
spare
tire gauge that goes down to at least 5 psi (I got bounced the first time because mine only went down to 8 psi);

There's a minimum width for tires but I don't recall what it is. Your stock tires are most likely just fine.

They require that you drop tire pressure down below 15 psi when you're on the sand. I usually go down to about 12 psi. On a hot day the pressure will build up in the tires as you go over sand and the tires get hot so if you don't go down below 15 psi you may end up having to let more out later.

They make you watch a video every year that will tell you where you can and can't drive, etc. Unfortunately the video doesn't tell you where the topless coeds will happen to be any particular weekend.

In terms of driving protocol, the vehicles leaving the beach have right of way over those heading onto the beach. So if you are facing someone coming at you in the same groove, if they are heading in the direction of off the beach they have right of way. That's true even if it appears that you are in the "right" lane; there are no lanes...

Happy motoring!