PDA

View Full Version : Crease Fly education 101

bluewatr
03-03-2002, 12:20 PM
Well I tied up many standard patterns so far this winter. Figured I would re-stock the standards then go experimental till things begin to happen.
I saw a nice recipe for the crease flies in a book at borders called Salt Water Fly Patterns ($49.99)..
This fly is a "slider". sliders have not been part of my arsenal till now. I have heard incredible things about the crease fly. Excellent when fishing amongst dense schools of bait when the stripes are so keyed in on the bait that you can't get there attention (chrome finish- of "Monokote" that can be had at any hobby shop works best from what I am told under these circumstances).
Does anyone have any tips for tying these flies?
More importantly do any of you have any experience using these flies?
These flies can be literal pieces of art (coloring and finishes) and look fun to tie.

-mike

kalamaiofly
03-03-2002, 02:39 PM
Too breakable.

Ltack18
03-03-2002, 06:17 PM
There's an illustrated set of instructions at www.flyfishsaltwaters.com/. Also, if you're interested, I did a photo illustrated set of instructions in connection with the recent fly swap. It's a pretty big download at 9 pages and about 15 photos. EMail me if you'ld like me to EMail it to you. By the way, that monokote appears to be heat sealed product. I'm not sure how well the foam would hold up to the heat. Where did you see that?

bigbonita
03-04-2002, 07:40 AM
although they are not too difficult to begin with, purchasing one of those blados crease fly kits eliminates what ever difficulty level there is. the foam has adhesive on one side and that foil paper is thinner/flimsier than prism tape and clings better to the sticky side of the foam. incidently, these flies are great for false albacore as well. the only trick is that once you cut out a shape that you like, keep it as a template for others.(oh yeah, keep your fingers off of that ca glue.
rich n

<blockquote>
=========
On 3/3/02 11:20:56 AM, bluewatr wrote:
Well I tied up many standard patterns so far this winter. Figured I would re-stock the standards then go experimental till things begin to happen. <BR>I saw a nice recipe for the crease flies in a book at borders called Salt Water Fly Patterns ($49.99).. <BR>This fly is a "slider". sliders have not been part of my arsenal till now. I have heard incredible things about the crease fly. Excellent when fishing amongst dense schools of bait when the stripes are so keyed in on the bait that you can't get there attention (chrome finish- of "Monokote" that can be had at any hobby shop works best from what I am told under these circumstances). <BR>Does anyone have any tips for tying these flies?<BR>More importantly do any of you have any experience using these flies?<BR>These flies can be literal pieces of art (coloring and finishes) and look fun to tie.<BR><BR>-mike<BR>
</blockquote>

bluewatr
03-04-2002, 09:21 AM
ltack18,
I saw that in that same book Salt Water Fly Patterns ..
I would love the instructions. You can send to mthomas@ofsoptics.com

Thank you very much!

-mike

bluewatr
03-04-2002, 10:09 AM
Bigbonita,

Where can I get one of these kits?

thanx,

-mike

bigbonita
03-04-2002, 06:56 PM
mike,
i've seen these kits in the orvis shop in framingham and american anglers in salem, nh. i'm sure they have them elsewhere as well. btw, the foil paper i mentioned in my other post is the same stuff bob popovics uses on his surf candy bellies(i think he refered to it as 'leaf paper' or 'silver leaf paper'. i'm having trouble finding that stuff outside of buying the kit. i have seen the foam squares that have adhesive on one side in craft stores, however.
rich n

Quicksilver
03-04-2002, 07:15 PM
Kits are $17 at fliesnsupplies.com

bluewatr
03-04-2002, 08:10 PM
Thanks All!

silkfish
04-29-2007, 09:59 PM
Ltack18, Just read your 101 on crease flys.Would it be possible to get a copy of instuctions.I would be greatful. e mail bobbachmann@yahoo.com thanks

albacized
04-29-2007, 10:55 PM
Wow...my screen name hasn't been Bigbonita in something like 3 or 4 years...thanks for resurrecting this thread and bringing me down memory lane;) ...but just contribute to this thread, I read one of the earlier posts about cutting out a template to keep for future bodies. This past winter, I purchased a 'cookie cutter' like device which was put out by Blados for the purpose of cutting 'perfect' crease fly bodies. There are three sizes, which I bought the smallest.

brushfly
04-30-2007, 11:03 AM
Slider, Popper, Streamer....yes, yes, and yes. Joe Blados originally designed the fly to be fished on a sinking line underwater. Up top, if worked sloooowly or with a two handed continuous strip, they are a slider, but most fisherman use them as Poppers. I use them almost exclusively in the late summer/ early fall on an Intermediate when Peanut Bunker are the main quarry and they can't be beat. There's a thread on the fly tying forum on Crease Flies where the tier adds gill slits to the sides as well.

Big Blues will bust them open after a handful of fish, bass haven't damaged mine to bad. I close the mouth with Epoxy, others leave them open. I think the open ones are less durable but that's JMO.

The foam also takes Prismacolor or A&D markers really well. Coat with softex or epoxy. (Thin) You can blend the colors to your prefernce. I sometimes glue into the sides a strip of foil as a latteral line and for extra flash.

ecflies
05-01-2007, 04:07 AM
Hi Ltake18,

I would like a copy of the instrcutions you wrote on tying the Crease Fly. You can send it to rgalante@eastcoastflies.com.

thanks!!

zippy
05-01-2007, 09:36 AM
I've been making and selling crease flies for a couple of years and have made leaps and bounds in materials and techniques. Here is some pics

zippy
05-01-2007, 09:41 AM
early stuff

JohnnyR
05-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Those are the best looking crease flies I've ever seen Zippy and I'm a crease fly lover.

zippy
05-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Thanks johnny the second set of pics are early stuff from few years back. If you or anyone else is interested in getting some send me an email
@ zippygas10@aol.com

houdini
05-02-2007, 12:55 PM
Has anybody found a good source for the leaf paper?

tsheehy
05-02-2007, 01:03 PM
Zippy,

The finish on the crease flies looks amazing!

Do you have any problems with hook gap? Doesn't look like there is much there?

-- Tom

zippy
05-02-2007, 01:26 PM
It's an off set hook so never had any complaints. I also did some on strat hooks in HD for tuna and they were nailing them. Some of my older flies did have a smaller gap I now shape the bodies giving them a rounded belly, wider gap and also it's not square or flat on the bottom

First light anglers in Rowley carries the leaf paper which I use most of the time. Add a little tint to the epoxy and they really come alive.