PDA

View Full Version : Orvis Rods

bluewatr
03-13-2002, 07:20 PM
I know there has been a lot of contoversey on rods and warranties. I bought a trident TL 4 yr.s ago. I broke it on my 1st season. It snapped in half amidst a double haul. I may have dinged it with a clouser but don't know for sure. I brought it back to Cubettas in Middletown CT. They shipped it out immediately and gave me a loner until I got it back! I just shipped this same rod back to Orvis for a new cork and tip guide. They are shipping me a brand new Rod! and the dealer gave me a brand new tube for the rod because he noticed the old was warped. I also bought a silver label 5wt. a few years ago. First week I had it I did something really dumb and left it out of it's tube on my living rm table while I was loading my very ancient phlueger reel. Well my girlfriend at the time decided it was in the way and laid it on the floor. I walked out of the bedroom and into the living rm. and crunch crunch goodbye fly rod. :( Orvis took this rod back and gave me what I really wanted ( a 4wt 3pc mid flex) no questions asked. I have to say!
Orvis is kicken when it comes to customer service!!!
I need a backup 9wt. I have checked out a lot of sweet rods that I want that are not Orvis. But Orvis's damb customer service and warranties are hard to beat! I am considering a silver label 9wt as backup.... Any Suggestions? I really like the st. croixs and some of the Loomis rods. My buddy lent me a Gatti that is sweet also. They have no warranty though...

Just babbling,

-mike

Bob Parsons
03-15-2002, 08:51 PM
AS good as the various warentees are, I would prefer a rod with a bit more durability. I dislike downtime while dealing with broken gear.

rel1
03-16-2002, 08:14 AM
I have found the St Croix rods,Legend Ultra series to be really light in hand and excellent casting and fish fighting tools - moreso than the Orvis which sem tip heavy to me. The St Croix warrantee is great also- only had to use it once in the past 3yrs.-and it was for my 9wt which snapped while trying to land a foul hooked(unintentional) blue that had shoulders.Just my $.02. Ron

bluewatr
03-18-2002, 05:09 PM
Had shoulders ay? So cool.... :) I think I may go with the loomis (nautikos)....

-mike

seafly
03-18-2002, 06:26 PM
Mike, Sure seems that Orvis has been really good to you. Their Silver label rods are a terrific bargain. I would stay with what and who you trust. The "down time" is minimal compared to the worry about the "uncertain". Orvis makes a fine product and stands behind their goods 100%. That gives you a lot of peace of mind. Stick with the folks that have treated you well....it will pay off in the long run. Just my thoughts/advice for what its worth.

RayD
03-18-2002, 06:43 PM
Quiet Sports in Canton has a used PM10 909 for $165 this would make a great back-up rod and it still carries the guarentee you like.

bluewatr
03-18-2002, 07:33 PM
Ray,
What's up?
This is mike, the guy you lent the gatti 6 wt. for steelhead! And your good customer (chedder bagel with peanut butter)

:p
I checked out that rod! nice (I especially like the yellow tape for length marker, I painted tiny dots on my trident for same purpose)! They said that Orvis would not repair that rod if it broke but would put the original price tag towards a new rod!

For all you that are not aware of Quite sports! Check them out. They have the best inventory of tying supplies I have seen.... They are located in Collinsville CT..

-mike

dondkim
03-18-2002, 10:40 PM
So much about quality of high tech fly rods!!!!!! I still have several Fenwick glass fly rods including 10 wt. 9 footer. Boy was I the happiest man when I first bought those rods. I have accumulated so many rods for the past few dacades and most of them are collecting dust in my fishing closet. Few weeks ago, I saw Lefty Kreh demonstrating his cast at Danbury show and it was flawless. I also saw Mark Sedotti demonstrating his technique at the Somerset Show. I have known Mark for many years but I have never seen his actual casting. Mark was demonstrating his back cast with at least 10"-12" long fly. His fly touched the concrete wall and landed on the curtain which was covering the bare wall. Long story short Mark pull down all the metal pipes to the ground which were holding the curtains. It was the highlight of the entire show. I was kind of curious to find out what kind of rods he was using. to my surprise it was Orvis Silver label SIX WEIGHT ROD. I asked him during lunch what was the longest distance he ever threw. His answer was "PROBABLY AROUND 180 FEET". He is like Ron Arra in fly casitng.

dondkim
03-19-2002, 08:00 AM
I forgot to mention that Mark's official affiliation is with Scott.

bluewatr
03-21-2002, 07:47 AM
Just got back my brand new trident replacement (with a second free spare tube). They also gave me brand new breathable waders to replace my leaky ones.. I just might have to stick it out with Orvis...

Now where are those stripes! I am READY!!!

-mike;)

dondkim
03-21-2002, 08:17 AM
I hope you don't put them out of business before I get my share of exchanges. But on a serious note, I have had enough exchages and replacements in the past and they are still in business. Also one of my joy of vacationning on the cape during summer is that my wife and I love to go to their annual sale in Hyannis and save lots of money. Financial wisdom: "The more you buy on sale the more savings"

Too Fly
03-21-2002, 08:14 PM
Tae Kwon Do Master huh?

Are you Korean? I'm half on my mother's side and Irish on "me fadders siide."