PDA

View Full Version : beaches on Grand bahama

msewards
03-26-2002, 03:02 PM
Perhaps someone can help..

I'll be staying in Freeport in July....
Can't wait to go fishing....

Does anyone know if there are some flats accessible by car? (I'll have one rented)...or even some beaches with some good fishing.or is renting a kayak an option anywhere?
It's nice to go for bones with a guide sometimes, and I do,...but I often prefer to get away and fish on my own...sometimes I even do better on my own.
I was on Ambergris Caye in Belize lasy July , and I did really well just looking for bonefish up and down the caye..
If anyone has questions ...ask away!

I've looked at a few maps. Does anyone know if there is some shore/beach fishing on the north side of the island... Riding Point?...or along the south shore that seems more accessible>
Hoping someone can save me some wasted time....Anything would help!

Mostly I'll be after bonefish....but I'd love to get into a few jacks...or watever!

thanks
Mike

afishianado
04-06-2002, 12:09 AM
See my mistaken post under Regional discussion forum–Florida–keys.

Gold Rock beach is nice too, but not for fishing, just for the amount of people that aren't there.

Walter

afishianado
04-06-2002, 12:33 AM
Sorry, that was a mistake too. It was the New England board, and not about the Keys.
Here's a cut and paste.

Try Paradise Cove on the west side. They have good flats to fish and also a snorkeling reef withing walking distance from shore, for anyone you might be with that doesn't fish.
The whole beach is pretty big and the Bonefish are easy to catch.
Their Phone # is 242 349 2677. Its a small beach resort that charges $5.00 to fish, something like $8.00 to snorkel, which includes mask & fins.
www.bahamasnet.com/paradisecove
pcove@batelnet.bs

This was the best place I found there, and I went all over the island.
If you drive around looking for shore fishing spots, be careful about trespassing or driving down unknown roads, lots of people have big barking dogs.

There are fishy areas north of the airport, but they throw a lot of garbage at the ends of the roads there. (smelly conch shells).

Some small flats before and after Gold Rock beach to the east.
The East end isn't worth bothering with, as its too far away, w/ no shore fishing access.

Riding Point Bonefish Lodge probably has guides for hire, and it isn't all the way to McCleans town. They fish the North sound.

Inexpensive Deep Sea fishing can be had at the market place area marina in Freeport.
Just look around and you will find some.

Cheers,
Walter