PDA

View Full Version : Piscataqua River

UglyChild2
04-03-2002, 02:02 PM
I'm getting the boat wet in a couple of weeks. I think the fish will be here shortly there after. Does anyone want to impart wisdom on how early they have seen Stripers in the Piscataqua area, what fly patterns work for these early season fish and where the most dependable spots are? I have heard of early season bruisers way up in Great Bay......

ag1
04-04-2002, 05:53 AM
According to my logs, they show at the mouth of the Merrimack during the second week in May after a normal Winter. One year, after a warm Winter, they showed a week early. This year I'd place a bet on the last week in April.

As I remember from other reports, the Portsmouth area only lags by a week, if it is even that much.

Al

UglyChild2
04-04-2002, 01:41 PM
Thanks Al,

I think I'm going to try even earlier than that, cause you never know. Plus I'm so f'n fired up to get on the water that it will give me a great excuse pre-work....

I'll let you know how it works out.

Best,

Steve Collins

Loki
04-04-2002, 01:49 PM
I have had good early season results (early May) around the tip of Newcastle on high tides in the bay behind the Bridge to Portsmouth. Olive and white half and half Clousers work well and snake flies at night as well.