PDA

View Full Version : Susky Flats Report

PeterJenkins
04-12-2002, 01:09 PM
Got on the water yesterday in Havre de Grace Maryland and thought the guys back home might want to hear about it.
Caught a dozen bass from 22 to 25 inches and up to 8 pounds! These stripers had been eating like Kings!!
Most bass in this fishery are similarly sized. Can't imagine what a 40 inch fish would weigh on this kind of diet!!
Realize the "flats" are under 6 feet of water at hightide and the water is very dirty by our standards. This is not sight fishing!
Happy to recommend Capt. Chris Dollar (410-827-0786) to those who travel through the area or just can't wait for the bigger fish to make it up here.

Tight Lines,

Peter Jenkins
The Saltwater Edge

jettyjockey
04-12-2002, 01:37 PM
yup, those fish in southern waters all have nice beer guts...

i know several southern fishermen through various online sources and the thing that amazes them when they fish up north is how skinny the fish are...they routinely see 38" fish in the chesepeake that will push closer to 30lbs than 20 lbs...

some strange relationship about actually having bait (pogies) in the water for the fish to feed on and the fish gaining weight...

Mark Cahill
04-12-2002, 02:56 PM
those fish have. Look at Sean's pic from last weeks fishwire. The striper has a gut that makes me look slim and trim (which is a stretch).

Sounds like a great trip! Any pictures available?

FYI, I added the report to the Chesapeake Fishwire (http://www.reel-time.com/fishwire/ches/update.htm)

Here's Sean's pic:

RJ
04-12-2002, 03:51 PM
Sean,

What kind of flys were you using. Size color, etc. That pic looks like a green egg or maybe first year spawning cow!

We get some young ladies up the Hudson who don't spawn (one year too young) and the locals call them green egg fish.
Sort of a learning experience for next spring.

You might want to try the Hudson on your way back to RI.

Same kind of murky roiled water.

:p RJ

fitz
04-15-2002, 05:19 PM
Mark,

I am looking rather sveldt (is that how you spell that???), aren't I?

Yeah, those fish are fat, fat, fat. My buddy landed a 38" on fly Sat. This is our only real shot at the big ones until the fall.

The fly that I did well on was a 6" all white clouser on a 2/0 hook, tied full with pearl mylar over holoflash, using bright orange thread. Also do well with a "Drape Fly"--a 3/0 bucktail with a heavy conehead. The secret is a 6" white zonker strip superglued to a straight piece of plastic which keeps it from fouling. Herring colors or chart/white. Mucho holoflash. All fished on a 325 gr. cortland QD.

Fitz

MICKEY
04-15-2002, 07:20 PM
I meant to ask this question when I saw this picture several weeks ago. Are the stripers this heavy at this time every year or is this an unusual year? Because if this is unusual by the time they get up to Massachusetts will they be bigger or smaller? Just something to think about.:)

jettyjockey
04-15-2002, 07:36 PM
count on them being smaller...those southern fish seem to always look fat...

flyingbass
04-17-2002, 10:44 AM
Can you canoe those flats or is the current too strong?