PDA

View Full Version : Canoe for Salt

MKDeceiver
05-02-2002, 01:44 PM
I've been borrowing an aluminum Michi-craft sportsman canoe for a few years and using it in the salt. Absolutely perfect for the flats. Corrosion has been rather minimal except on a few loose screws ect.

Anyways, i'm looking for a new canoe for the coming season. What you guys out there recommend? My personal preference would be to get a Radisson. That most closely resembles the one I have been using.

I've tried "Old Town's" ect.. but they are not sturdy. The shape of the radisson canoe, along with the foam sides is perfect. They work so good in the Salt. Never flipped it before, I can stand, sight-fish, paddle, it's great...

Any suggestions? Anybody else using aluminum craft in the ocean? Anyone have a Radisson? Anyone know a friend with one.

A Kayak is not really an option for me. I like being able to stand, I almost always bring a friend along and I like the space.

Thankyou in advance.

rolands
05-02-2002, 03:32 PM
I've used 14' to 16' Sportpals. Real sterdy and easy to stand in. Lots of foam. Don't have one any more but i'm thinking of putting the 17' Lincoln in the North River this year.
RolandS

MKDeceiver
05-02-2002, 03:47 PM
Yeah the shape of those canoes is perfect. People say that the saltwater gets under the foam, so the aluminum can corrode over time.

I just don't know what's out there that will be as sturdy and maneuverable. I don't think those sportpals have rivets on them either, which is a plus. The cane seats could be a problem over time.

hydroTechNoCrat
05-02-2002, 03:51 PM
I used a 14' foot sports pal for years in rivers and estuaries. Real stable and the foam lining makes it very quiet.

MKDeceiver
05-02-2002, 04:21 PM
Did it have Cane seats???