PDA

View Full Version : PI snow (and fish) report

Praguire
05-18-2002, 10:18 PM
Drove all way from VT Friday to fish outgoing at Plum Island on Sat. AM, left Woburn in snow at 7 am, thought to myself "I'm out of my mind" but kept going to PI. Lo and behold, there's about 15-20 other nutcakes at the river, wind's blowing about 40 knots straight in our faces, and the rain was suspiciously close to snow. Got two short fish out on what's left of last year's sandbar, and then fingers refused to function. Repaired to car to run defroster onto fingers for 10 minutes or so, and then fished the water right at the boat docks, where wind was only 39 knots or so and rain looked more like rain than snow. From dead low to about 45 minutes after, took about 20 fish (only 1 that looked larger than 28) from that little slot next to the Captain's Lady. Was using small sluggos (3-inch) tied in a line of 3, with just a little lead head sinker to beat the wind. Fish were all about 5 yards from shore. Guy next to me was fishing what looked like an antique green popper on top, he got 6 or 7 fish, all bigger than what I was seeing. Drove home tonite (saturday) and there's about 4 inches of snow in my driveway, but you know what? I caught stripers today, and they can keep skiing all they want at Killington as long as I'm allowed to dash down to PI for arctic striper fishing. I thought October on Chappy was cold, but today was my all-time nastiest day standing in the surf (with a newly-discovered pinhole in my waders, yet). Were any of you reel-time guys out there today?

got2fish
05-19-2002, 04:47 PM
I was the guy next to you, out on the flats. I ended with a total of 32 fish. I started fishing at 5:30 am and ended at 9:30. All fish were over 26" with the bulk of them around 32. One fish was 42". All fish were caught on a popper.By far it was the best day so far this year. I would have stayed longer but I couldnt bend my fingers to cast or crank the reel. I was amazed at the size of the fish in that school. I returned today and was greated with a 25 knot wind into my face and cold.. only a few fish at 27" and a bunch of short hits.... what a difference a day makes....:mad: