PDA

View Full Version : Plum Island

KMUMP
05-27-2002, 01:13 PM
Went to plum island on 5/26 and fished near the sand bar. I got there about 4:30am and left around 9:00am. I was using clams with a light tackle outfit, 10lb test line and 7 ft ugly stick. I had a lot of bites but caught only 3 bass, one was 26 inches. I'll get better with practice. A guy next to me caught a 28 inch bass. It looked like everyone was getting fish. Most were small but lots of action. For a rookie like me this was a good trip. What happened to the sand bar? Does it change every year?

bdowning
05-27-2002, 01:54 PM
Yes the length and position of the bar changes every year. Closer to the charter boat docks the shoreline seems a little more stable. If you're only into bait, a good technique is to drift seaworms on a 1 oz egg sinker fishfinder rig in the current. That should get you into more quantity, if not quality.
It also allows you to move around more and try different spots that it would if you were just bottom fishing.

Better yet, throw a sluggo on a 1/2 oz head, netter's lance, or fly on a dropping tide when it's low light or dark and drift it. You'll catch fish that rival and sometimes surpass in size those on bait.

-bd

sleps
05-28-2002, 10:54 AM
kmump
The bar has filled in quite a bit, and i think it has become more fishy. You can safely access most of the bar rip (1-2 hours around low) using waders. Bait will get you some of the bigger bites. I do prefer a soft plastic with a straight retrieve. You can also let it tumble across the bar and off the deep side. The bar was loaded this weekend, but also busy. Try to move towards the river mouth with the dropping tide, ending up on the jetty.

KMUMP
05-28-2002, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I can use all the help I can get.

Diggedy
05-29-2002, 10:30 AM
Would anyone be so kind as to suggest an area of Plum Island for a novice flyfisherman to explore? I have heard mentions of "the sandbar" and "the point" but am not sure where to find these locations. Are tides a big factor here?

Also, does anyone know where I can find information such as directions and parking online? Haven't had much luck poking around the web so far. I can be reached privately at dsurd@blacksci.com if you prefer...

Any help would be greatly appreciated for getting this newbie on his feet!

Thx!

DS

ruge13
05-29-2002, 10:58 AM
from what I know of plum island...if you are going to fish the beach area or the mouth of the river...look on Mapquest for plum island. The maps and photos will be a great help to you. I don;t know the name of the street, but you will see it on mapquest, go to plum island, and go all the way to the furthest point on that street. There will be a small park and a coast guard station. There is a parking lot there. I am not sure what the restrictions are on this lot but I have seen people park there. From here there are paths leading to the water about 100 yards away. You can access the beach and a jetty that runs out from the mouth of the river. You can also acces the mouth of the river from here. I am sure tieds play a big part in fishing here at least for the rivr end because there is a pretty significant current whipping through the river. If the current doesn;t get you, the wind will...as for up the river and Joppa...search the forum for Joppa, there have been posts that offered parking and entrance points...I don't know much about them...in my opinion as a novice you might want to try to hit joppa with a fly rod. The wind is usually a little forgiving here so casting will be easier. The beach has strong winds in your face.

ag1
05-29-2002, 11:16 AM
You may want to pass on the jetty. It seems someone is lost out there every year. You will get trapped out there when the tide rises and waves can easily toss you off. Besides, the fishing is equally as good near the parking lot or on the sandbar at low tide. If you do fish the bar, get off once the tide turns.

As for the optimum tide, I've always found the outgoing to be best.

Give it a shot. It's one of the best spots around.

Al

Sagebrush
05-29-2002, 12:07 PM
Tried that ONCE with about 30 pounds of gear. It has that slick stuff that doesn't give you any warning you just fall.

There were 7-8 foot waves (storm driven) that crashed over one side and knocked me down on the other.

The parker wildlife refuge is worth checking out further down.

bdowning
05-29-2002, 12:20 PM
Agree on the jetty. At one time, I was willing to go out there in Korkers but fuggedabuddit now. A simple strategy at PI is to start at the coast guard station and work the shoreline towards the beachfront until you catch fish. In practice however, you'll find a lot of people bottom fishing with bait near the parking lot entrance so it sometimes pays to walk several hundred yards towards the mouth before wetting a line. Dropping tide is more consistent, but the first part of the incoming can be dynamite sometimes. On the beachfront, two hours either side of high is probably more consistent fishing than low.

-bd

Diggedy
05-30-2002, 08:14 AM
Thanks to everyone who shared their knowledge of PI yesterday!

Dave

titleguy
05-30-2002, 08:27 AM
If you park by the party boats and walk until river meets ocean you will cover a lot of good water. I agree with the outgoing for the river, but incoming for beach front. Don't ignore the Plum Island River (that's what makes it an island) between Plum Island and Woodbridge Island. Parking is a little dicey, but turn left at Citgo station just after drawbridge and drive to cul-du-sac at end and walk across the marsh. This area can be killer the last two hours of outgoing, especially, low-light or bad weather. Small clousers and an 8 wt. Have fun.