PDA

View Full Version : Westport, MA

Quicksilver
06-18-2002, 08:42 PM
I have to sheepishly admit that my saltwater season got off to a really late start. I have been doing a lot of fishing for shad. The outboard on the inflatable does not want to idle, so the two times I have been out in saltwater have been mostly test runs for the boat. Put in at the Gooseberry ramp from hell after work. I was in the water a little after 4pm. Beautiful weather, and the wind, though not the promised 7mph from the west, was not too bad. Drifted a large half n' half and lost it on a weak strike that I assume was a bluefish. I next anchored a bit off the shore and tried casting around the rock structure that is prevalent in the area. Got a follow from a bass, three casts later I hook up. Seeing as how this is not really serious fishing, I'm using the shad rod. It's always in the car. It is a 8' Pflueger Medalist 5/6 wt. with a Cortland Rimfly reel. The fish heads for Cuttyhunk. The rod is a U, but that doesn't mean much because it always does that with schoolies. I get the fish to the boat in about 10-15 minutes, and low and behold it's a keeper! I send it back, I have promised a fish to a co-worker but I have no cooler in the boat, and if I'm going to give someone a bass, I want it to be in good shape. I fished there for 1 1/2 hours and had a blast. Bunch of small bluefish another striper of about 21". Last fish of the day was another good one just over 28". This one stayed in the boat. I gutted the fish at the ramp and delivered it to my friend fresh. Guess I know where I'll be this weekend!

artfullcast
06-19-2002, 07:04 AM
re Gooseberry - great place when the wind doesn't blow too hard - i too caught two large stripers on a deceiver right off that beach to the left of the ramp - i like the area so much that i drive from baltimore just to wade those stretches of beach from cherry point to allens pond - maybe i'll see you there - regards, artfullcast

Magwts
06-19-2002, 11:00 AM
I also fish gooseberry alot. I've been going there since I was 10 years old. I love that place!

Question, I am planning on heading out there this weekend. I've never launched a boat from there I usually just shore cast. Do you need a special launch permit? Of is it a donation type thing? I'm just curious.

Also any suggestions on where to fish at goosebery? I usually stay on right side of the island and have had some success but I've never fished by boat there. I was thinking about hen and chickens (sp?). I've always heard allot about that place.

Thanks

JimK
06-19-2002, 11:48 AM
I used to fish goosberry much more than I do now. I used to do OK but I never really caught anything large except for a few big bluefish. Most fish I caught were around 15 to 25". All of my fishing is done from shore and I usually stay to the right as your walking out toward the towers.
I was there on sat. on the musscle bed looking for bluefish. fishing there is more like swimming than fishing. Jumping waves and getting soaked for an hour was all I could take. It wouldn't be a problem if I was into fish but I didn't have any luck. I plug 100% of time.
I wish they would open the gate earlier and keep it open later. I think I would do much better between 10pm to 6am time slot. Especially from shore.
Tough place to surf cast. If you can surf cast at goosberry you can probably surf cast anywhere. Big rocks, waves and choppy flats makes wading and fishing a challenge.
Maybe I should start going back more and change my tactics. Fish different spots and different time of day.
Are they still closing the gate at 10pm and opening at 8am?
When the heck are they going to open horsneck beach for the night and early morning?
I noticed by east beach (the beach right before allens pond) that they made it a town beach and parking area. This is the area on the road at the end of the trailer park. Can you park there and fish at night or early in the morning without getting ticketed or towed? I know they are brutes down there about parking.

Quicksilver
07-15-2002, 08:56 PM
First of all, I really apologize for the delay with this post. I have two excuses. I just got back from vacation, and I am a very slow at typing! Magwts- The ramp at Gooseberry is free. It is used primarily by jet skiers and small catamaran sailboats. There are two excellent ramps in the area that can be used by larger boats. One is in Westport Harbor. Take the exit right after the Westport Point Bridge. The cost to launch is a donation left in a lockbox. The ramp is about 1 1/2 miles from Gooseberry and 2-3 miles from Sakonnet/Sachuest Points. The second location is the Apponagansett boat ramp in Padanaram. Cost is $5 a day or $25 for a season pass. Both available from the harbormaster. When you use the Aponagansett ramp you pass Round Hill, Salters, and Mishaum Points on the 2-3 mile trip to Gooseberry. All of these areas offer great fishing. Jim K- I believe the authorities try to get people out of the parking lot at 8 pm. A lot of fishermen park before the gate on the water side and walk out to the point. I don't have any knowledge about East Beach. The residents of that community, along with Salters Point and Mishaum Point have severely limited access to the water. Maybe you can call the police department to find if you can park.

Bigred
07-15-2002, 09:14 PM
Hey Silver,
Glad to hear your trip to the Vineyard was fun and successfull. I was at your old stomping grounds, (hens and chicken, Gooseberry Island) Sunday. Managed one 30" bass @ hens and chickens. What a hoot on light spinning gear, especially in that boulder field. That was the only fish I got all day, but I'm not complaining. Maybee I'll see you there sometime. Tightlines

Quicksilver
07-15-2002, 09:39 PM
There is just an incredible amount of structure around that point. I usually drift by rocks and cast, but I hear a lot of guys with boats just troll plugs near the structure. I get jostled aroung pretty good out there.

Bigred
07-16-2002, 08:10 PM
I hear ya. Lots of wave action around that rip. I actually anchored on the upcurrent side. Luckely I got my anchor back.I expected to take a few more fish out of there though. I was fishing a 4" sluggo on a jighead and some sand eel imitation flies.