PDA

View Full Version : South Cape Various Dates

Sagebrush
06-30-2002, 10:54 AM
Last night was interesting heavy fog but lots of fish. Starting to see some real giants tailing or fin out across the surface. Four over 40 inches.

Large congregations of fish in certain areas but often staging between feeding times. Sizes are more mixed now. Some larger sand eels showing up in numbers further south.

Fished friday night on a popular spot with low tides. Casting at moving shadows which where aggressive takers.

Saturday

Got out after seeing humongous tails. Brought my video camera and fly rod, wasn't too effective with either. Caught my backcast and fell sort, immediately hooking a smaller fish (Figures). When I got another approach of this 40 inch fish, I got a huge knot in my line. Trying to hold 70ft of line without a stripping basking is problematic.

Noticed that in this area a large numbers of mummichogs migrate in and out of the backwater areas. Tied a sand colored chunky little fly with the shiny sand colored puglisi fibers and caught a few fish in challenging conditions.

Will be publishing a lot interesting stuff soon.

Sagebrush

bluewatr
06-30-2002, 10:41 PM
With all respect,

Why didn't you have a stripping basket?

Sagebrush
07-01-2002, 06:13 AM
Bluewater,

It was a spur of the moment thing. I had no idea how long these fish were going to hold in these depressions between bars. Originally I would have been casting from a bar that reaches out a ways. It was also a short cast 30 ft. The fish I was after ending up moving out to the next depression between bars as the tide quickly went out.

Sagebrush.