PDA

View Full Version : Trout near Manchester, NH or Newburyport

paulj
08-08-2002, 10:59 AM
My commute runs from Byfield, MA (near Newburyport) to Manchester, NH. Are there some nice trout streams or ponds in there somewhere that are worth stopping for?

"Worth" to me doesn't mean I catch ten+ fish, but just a nice spot where I might catch one or at least see a few fish rising. Practice makes perfect, right?

Does anyone here spend time fishing in this area?

Sentience
08-08-2002, 11:05 AM
that would definitely make the commute better. i can't say that i know any streams go. there is something so appealing about quickly getting out of your car throwing a few lines, catching a few few fish and leaving soon thereafter.

Fitzy
08-08-2002, 12:50 PM
Try looking at a Map of the area; I know there's a big lake up near Manchester off of 102(?). This lake holds everything from Lakers to pike. There are also some ponds and streams south of there. Try Beaver Brook on the border of Windham and Londonderry (it gets stocked everyyear just below the dam around april 1). There's also a pond in derry that gets stocked, but I can't remeber the name. It's near the rotary in the center of town. Or if you want, just try any stream you drive by... try one one night and another the next day Thats how I like to find new spots. It's very rewarding when some experimenting pays off.

Good luck!

ltspecial
08-28-2002, 11:38 AM
That big lake is Massabesic. Has some huge smallmouth and lots of pickerel. Also rumored to have browns and rainbows.
It's the water reservoir for Manchester, so it has restrictions
(eg. no wet wading).

You might also check the Lamprey river, which runs from
Deerfield NH through Durham (UNH) and into Great Bay. It has
some great trout fishing in places, and also warmwater fish.
Pawtuckaway Lake is that area also, for more warmwater fishing.

Also, the Merrimac River has giant bass, trout, walleye, and
Atlantic Salmon (special fishery for them). Just don't fish
too far from your car or it may not be there when you get back.