PDA

View Full Version : Narraganset blues?

Bigred
08-11-2002, 10:01 PM
Is Narraganset bay as full of small blues as the reports make it out to be? I've got a couple of days off and I'm wondering if it's worth trailering down there. Gloucester has been consistently produciing 28"-30" bass for me but I'm looking for a change of scenery. Any feedback from someone who's fished there recently would be helpful. Thanks.

striper1340
08-12-2002, 08:36 AM
Well there are plenty of blues in the bay right now. Any where from Barrington Beach right down to Newport Harbor. I would say yes you have a great chance at seeing some classic bluefish blitzes with out all the boats that you'll see in about two weeks around the bay. The blues seem to be feeding on what looks like 2" peanut bunker and some squid. Any thing will work just dont throw it into the blitz you'll lose a fly line for sure. Well I would put in at Colt State Park and try to fish that area and work your way south in the bay an look for seagulls and huge breaking schools of blues. Most range from 5-8lbs with the rouge fish of 10-12lbs get your wire and get out their!
SWE Corey Pietraszek

http://www.saltwateredge.com/images/breakingfish2_g.JPG

Bigred
08-13-2002, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the info. Great picture! Unfortunately I went to the cape after monster stripers in the Scroton ledge area. Ended up with 3 small blues and a dogfish I tail hooked on a jig. Ended the day shore fishing @ the Maritme which produced 6 legal fluke in a couple of hours for 3 of us. Definitley have to hit Naraganset for some of that great action.