PDA

View Full Version : Tippet Strength and Losing Flies

StriperSniper
08-14-2002, 09:59 AM
All,
I know that part of this sport is losing some flies ever now and then but I'd like to pose a question to everybody and see if I'm the only one that has this problem.....
Last night I was fishing the beginning of the incoming and a big school of small Blues came chomping through so I put on White popper and threw it into the mix and as soon as it hit the water it was engulfed.The fight was uneventful and I was able to bring the fish in (it was max 2 pds)with no problem.I preceeded to lift the fish out of the water... it shook it's head and the tippet snapped below the knot..mind you I had a Rio 22 lb tippet tied on so my question is #1 Why did a 22lb tippet snap on a 2pd Bluefish ? and #2 When you land a fish what do you do to protect the tippet and prevent it from snapping ?

Mark Cahill
08-14-2002, 12:23 PM
[list=1]
Frayed line
Old leader material - sunlight degrades it
Shock - the weight of the fish was compounded by the thrashing (try lifting a 2 lb. weight with the line - then try taking the same 2 lb. weight and dropping it 6 feet while the end is tied to a stationary object).
[/list=1]

My bet would be on frayed line. Often in a feeding frenzy the line will get abused well above the fly. What did the broken end look like? Was there any sign of abrasion above the break? Where there any little curli-ques hanging off it that might denote that the line had been weakened?

StriperSniper
08-14-2002, 01:06 PM
Mark,
The tippet snapped cleanly between a perfection loop and a blood knot...most likely frayed on the rocks or got nicked by some teeth during the fight but I just found it odd that a 22 lb tippet snapped on a 2 pd fish. I'm gonna start pre-tying a few leaders with wire for the poppers ..hopefully this won't happen again.

stevec
08-15-2002, 08:10 AM
Sniper
I am new to the salt water fly fishing thing. I am using a 4foot sinking leader and 16# tippet approx 1 foot. After that, I have a 40# shock tippet about 8 inches long. If a blue can bite through that shock tippet, more power to him, he can have my fly because I am not going after it in those jaws!

I fish Staten Island also. Mostly the GKP Channel and the Point area.

StriperSniper
08-15-2002, 10:13 AM
Blues,
Welcome to the sickness...It's good to know I'm not the only one fishing flies on SI....I fish GKP alot or you'll find me in front of Wolfe's..that'll be me pulling seaweed off my line,untangling knots and dislodging flies from my back..haha

But seriously..I know it must of been some teeth that did in my tippet so I'm thinking of trying some flurocarbon in my leaders as well as pretying a bunch of wire leaders for my favorite poppers....

One more thing...I wouldn't worry too much about sharks off SI I think we already have enough to worry about from the Horseshoe crabs. :)

If you're looking for someone to fish with drop me a line...

Cheers

stevec
08-15-2002, 10:57 AM
Snipe
Sounds like a good idea, I will let you know when I'm free to hit the water. I never fished anywhere other than the park.
If you see a guy who looks like he has no clue casting, thats me just don't get too close, I whacked some seagulls on the beach with my line last week.
If you know when you'll be out there let me know

Steve