PDA

View Full Version : 9/12-14: Around Montauk

Tuna
09-15-2002, 10:08 AM
Fished Thursday, Friday and Saturday, three very different days in terms of the fish.

Thursday I took my sweet time starting , letting the winds die some before hitting the water at noon. The rips at the Point were still ugly then, but I went in to see what the birds were on. Saw 4 inch fish (maybe mullet?) airing as blues and albies chased them. However, I saw more blues than albies so moved on. Caswells has albies, blues and bass, and for the next 4 hours I saw big bass feeds from Caswells to the Point. Got a few albies, but had many blues beat them to the fly. Got a couple of bass too, and some video of the feeds. Really a beautiful afternoon, and wonderous bass feeds.

Friday morning I headed west, hoping to find bigger groups of albies. Fort Pond Bay - nothing; Goff Point - nothing; Tobacco Lot - nothing; Easstern Plains Point - nothing. Headed back to the point to great outer rips albie feeds. Winds seemed higher than NOAA predicted, and it was bouncy out there, but with Ted in sight and albies cooperative, I never made it close enough to shore to see if the bass feeds repeated. Ted told me there was a feed at Shagawong, so off to that feed for the rest of the afternoon. Around 5 pm it went from very good to unbelievable. I left around 6:30 'cause my hands could not handle another fish. Ended up 1 short of my best for the year. Some of the visuals of the day will remain with me for years, particularly the late albie madness before the sun went down.

Saturday my friend Bob McMahon joined me. When we got to the Point, we saw nothing. Putting around, bumped into Jeff Palmer, hooked up to an albie. He said he had figured with all the fish around, he could get albies on sinking line in the rips, and it was his fourth in the last hour. While Bob got one on spinning, I got one on sinking line (but busted the rod in the process). Bob and I then followed some small pods on the surface in the rips, but nothing much really took form. We then headed south and spent more than an hour drifting near shore towards Turtle Cove. Picked up a nice bass while Bob hooked another albie on spinning, then Bob switched to the fly and each drift at least one of us would hook up on albies. They would surface in small pods from time to time, but it was really more fishing the structure than targeted specific pods. We looked in the rips several more times, but no real good albie surface action developed at any time we looked. Switched to Shagawong a bit later and had a brief killer rise of albies, but it was around 5 pm and an armada of returning party and charter boats seemed to disperse them. We left with some fish still around and at least an hour of light left, so it might have gotten better later. Although it was nothing compared to the hours of great surface action Friday, we managed a good number of albies partially because of the time we spent near Turtle Cove fishing a zone versus surface fish and partially because I got lucky on some of the few rip pods we had seen.

BIGE
09-16-2002, 07:40 AM
We did not have as much luck as Peter. One of my trout fishing buddies joined me for Saturday and we landed a few albies. Fished mostly turtle cove along with about five other boats including Peter. Lost a lot of fish and never seemed to be drifting in quite the right place when they surfaced. We also had to leave at 4 so we may have missed the best action.

While it would usually qualify as a decent day, it just didn't seem so great after last weekend.

I heard some chatter about Gardiners and would like to know how the guy over there did.

Rich

joshr
09-16-2002, 10:07 AM
Rich--

Definitely don't feel bad about sticking fewer fish than Peter. When it comes to albies, nobody out there is as good as Peter. The guy has a sixth sense.

--JHR

Tuna
09-16-2002, 10:30 AM
Plus, like any true fisherman, maybe I lie or at least reconstruct my memories a bit.

Rich - I thought I saw you out there, waving, with your friend. Our key, something I learned from Blinken in similar situations, was to ignore the individual pods of albies coming up and work the area. I was drifting a bit closer to shore (as close as I could without taking surf caster plugs) than most of the boats, and that drift lane was working for me.

Hawk
09-16-2002, 12:55 PM
I don't know if any of you fished yesterday but that was by far the best Albie fishing of my experience. From 7am till 12:30pm we couldn't go a minute without having albies to cast to, all off Shagwan thank god, because of the wind that was really the only place we could have fished.

teds
09-17-2002, 10:31 AM
Peter,Iwant to confirm that the friday dusk albie feed was one of the best in my memory.My last image of the day was Peter, Ahab like, strapped to his Whaler hooked to an albie and surrounded by busting fish.The sunday dawn blitz was just as good with fewer boats because the weather forecast was dire. I quit after boating 12 by 10:30 AM. The weekend total was 42 Albies released at the boat.Wrists, knees and back are filled with memories that will last all winter.

teds
09-17-2002, 10:31 AM
Peter,Iwant to confirm that the friday dusk albie feed was one of the best in my memory.My last image of the day was Peter, Ahab like, strapped to his Whaler hooked to an albie and surrounded by busting fish.The sunday dawn blitz was just as good with fewer boats because the weather forecast was dire. I quit after boating 12 by 10:30 AM. The weekend total was 42 Albies released at the boat.Wrists, knees and back are filled with memories that will last all winter.

BIGE
09-17-2002, 10:57 AM
Peter, that was me that waved. Maybe I should have pushed in a little closer. As a former (and sometimes current) surf rat, I try not to crowd the boys on the rocks.

I've heard many reports that Friday was great and Sunday was great. Lots of "sporadic" reports about Saturday which is what we saw.

Nobody going to give up the goods on Gardiners? I know somebody here fished the lot or NE side.

joshr
09-17-2002, 11:18 AM
Oh Ted you're killing me....I had a social thing I had to do Saturday that kept me off the water, but only passed on Sunday 'cause of the forecast. After I slept in Sunday morning and woke up at 9 to pretty mild winds compared to NOAA's forecast, I knew I'd made a mistake. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

--Josh

Tuna
09-17-2002, 11:34 AM
Ted, yes, Shagawong at dusk Friday night was spectacular. By that time, my hands were numb, and I had become obsessed with landing a specific number of fish, and I was missing fish after fish 'cause my hands were gone. I remember thinking that it was unusual to see you quit first, but now I know you needed to save a little energy to get in on the Sunday madness that Hawk reported. I have seen a few feeds like that, but it was certainly the best I can remember for several years. I finally got the number I was looking for, and headed in shortly after you did.

I'm glad to see these feeds, as there were a few years that Shagawong never seemed to produce much but blues. I think I will be dragging a coworker out Saturday, which at this point is forecast at 20-25 knots south, so it would sure be nice if they set up there again. Hope to fish Thursday and Friday too, which are not forecast to be exactly FAC.

Rich, I was pretty sure that was you who waved - Saturday was good, but as you point out, not as good as the prior weekend.

Sure hope no really big storms impact the run, as this is the best I have seen since 1998.

BIGE
09-17-2002, 11:40 AM
Isn't that Redbone tournament this weekend? I won't be around, but I imagine it will be crazy under the light.

Hawk
09-17-2002, 11:47 AM
Redbone is Thursday and Friday should be fun but a zoo, 30 boats all trying to do the exact same thing. Though last Saturday everyone was out there and we managed fish without major issues.

teds
09-17-2002, 12:05 PM
Josh, I went to sleep saturday nite expecting monsoon conditions at dawn on sunday.I went to the marina and hesitated for a minute but went out in the building sw gusts. As soon as I approached inner shag I felt vindicated. It got better and closer to the beach which was in a bit of a lee.The fish were in the rip from shagwong point to the buoy and out into the rip north of the point.Noaa and the Weather Channel blew it.There were very few boats out, Jim hull was there early and connected often.Paul Dixon came out and did well too.Rule # 1 of fall flyfishing, always watch the weather.Rule #2 go out when you can it's a long winter.Based on what we experienced this weekend it should be a long run this fall.

Hawk
09-17-2002, 12:14 PM
Teds, that was me with Jim Hull and you are spot on about the weather though I am very glad we didn't have to go any farther East then we did the South Side looked ugly when we drove out. Which boat were you?

joshr
09-17-2002, 01:09 PM
Ted--

I hear ya on the rules of fall. If I hadn't been a guest in someone else's house and had been at our place, I'd definitely have been up and out there looking to have the weather proved to me before believing NOAA who is wrong all the time.

Anyway, send me an email (jreibel@wgengroup.com) so I'll have you remail address. Not sure what my weekend plans are yet.

--JHR

teds
09-17-2002, 02:04 PM
Hawk, my boat is the 23 ft. Parker.Ken Rafferty often confuses me with Jim Levisons boat as they are identical.Kenny admits that I'm better looking than Jim.I think I drifted near Jim Hull on sunday while I was repairing some bluefish damage and he said hello.Were you with Jim Hull when we had the albies near Oyster Pond on saturday? It's one of my favorite places in a sw blow and I could actually see the Albies in 3ft. of water on the shagwong bar.

teds
09-17-2002, 03:44 PM
Hawk, My boat is a 23Ft. Parker, Jim Hull said hello when I was repairing some bluefish damage to my leader.I had a bluefish eat an epoxy fly off the leader as it was dangling in the water.The best of luck to you and Jim in the redbone!

fmw
09-17-2002, 07:43 PM
I'm a little late on the uptake in getting this post out but I was also out Saturday afternoon and found the fishing to be relatively sporadic. After hearing that the fish were still going strong after Gustav, at the last minute (Friday afternoon), I booked a half-day guide trip along with a buddy and his girlfriend.

The most concentrated sign of fish we found was around Shagwong, which had albies when we got out around 1:30 or so, but we left that and probably spent too much time driving around the outer rips waiting for something to start that never did. Then back inshore, but no sign of a late afternoon bass blitz around the Point. (I drove to the Point in the early a.m. and there was no sign of a morning bass blitz either). Also, took one drift around Turtle Cove, probably in the vicinity of Tuna and BigE. Then finally back to Shagwong, where things picked up, but it doesn't sound like it was either close to the pace of the prior evening or the following morning.

I have to add a "grrrrrr" after hearing phenomenal reports for almost every other day since Labor Day (except for the windy Wednesday, when Gustav passed), except for the day I was out there.

teds
09-18-2002, 12:04 PM
Hawk, My boat is the 23ft. Parker.Jim Hull said hello while I was repairing some bluefish damage to my leader.The best of luck to you and Jim in the redbone, I will not be out due to a busy work schedule. I hope to see you out there again in the coming weeks.
Teds