PDA

View Full Version : Footballs, Friends, and teamwork

saltybugger
09-23-2002, 05:24 AM
The Bigcat/bugger team launched again yesterday in search of sbt, headed out from Marshfield to some waypoints we had marked last week, immediately found fish....and more fish...and MORE fish!
And sharks, and molas, and whales! But I digress...
We got some good shots into fish in the morning, I lost one after 30 seconds to a bad hookset, and bc lost 3 fish, one after almost an hour...to a @!##!!!$%!! shark that rubbed his line and broke him off....
Well we're sitting there eating lunch, and this blitz comes up like 500 yards away...it continuously built in intensity until we couldn't take it anymore, there was just about an acre of breaking tuna there just absolutely slashing through this bait pod. We motor over and get within 50' of these fish and it was just flippin insane. bc quickly decided that this was the perfect opportunity to get one on the flyrod...with only a 12wt penn rod we knew outright we were undergunned but figured why not, probable chance we'd get a small fish anyways and we'd be able to handle it without a problem. NOT.
Second cast bc yells i'm on...I immediately stow my rod and get on the boat, this fish is takin drag like no tomorrow! bc dumps 3/4 of his reel with 300 yards of backing before we start getting some line back by chasing him with the boat! The next 4 hours brought an incredible afternoon full of highs and lows...the highs being able to see this incredible 100++ pound fish at least a dozen times around the boat, and getting some stupendous runs where he'd dump almost the entire spool only for us to gain it back....wildly backing the boat and reeeling as fast as possible when he made numerous charges straight at the boat...thank GOD for Dairiki 5/0 hooks with good barbs! Lesson #1 learned today...reel reel reel and back back back when the fish charges! We thought we'd lost him numerous times when the line just INSTANTANEOUSLY went completely slack...it happened so fast that it looked like the line broke and there was nothing there. So 4 hours of fighting this fish...and a total of 5 miles this thing towed the boat, we get this fish with 20' of the boat, just so heavy we can't raise him the last few feet....fish is constantly doing the circle....us and him, back the boat, get line, fish takes line even palming the reel, back the boat in the circle...this went on for over an hour...it's now 4:40 and we're 3/4 mile off the southwest corner of Stellwagon bank...fish comes close enough...I got the gaff in hand....he shoots under boat....no opportunity. Keep fighting...think at this point after the extensive battle we had that we started to get a little cocky...realizing that this trip had to end soon or we were going to be making a run in the dark etc, we start horsing the fish a little more....still running circles.....it's now 3' of sinktip and 7' of leader in the water...and the fish is close...gaff in hand again....i'm looking down at the fish just waiting...the moment is near! Excitement!
And SNAP....bigcat now has a 4 piece Penn rod...fastest thing to think of was start handlining in as quick as we could....hand over hand....still very much hopeful we could land this fish....5 hands...10....20.......SNAP...the leader lets go 6" below the sink tip in the middle of the 50' fluoro. ARGH! I don't know what to say or how bc felt but I had a wave of emotion pass over me that felt like I lost my best friend. I almost cried right there. What a day....We worked so hard for this fish, we did it right all the way, we knew we were undergunned from the start....but THAT was a fish of a lifetime on a flyrod and we got soooo close! It was a great team effort, and thanks for being my friend bc! We'll be back and we'll do it again!

Oh and I should also mention that this fish was very special to me as it was taken on a fly that I designed....and one of my first flies I ever tied for saltwater! BC put a standing order for a dozen on the spot :D

David Churbuck
09-23-2002, 05:39 AM
Awesome story! My condolences, but congratulations on an epic fight well fought. Sounds like the fish of a lifetime.
dcc

SamRiley
09-23-2002, 06:46 AM
You got my heart pumping Bugger. Great write up :)

Gadusfly
09-23-2002, 07:19 AM
What a story! Shame about losing it after that epic battle but what an adventure!! That time will be etched in your memory and that's what fishing is all about after all, isn't it? Way to go!!!

Bob Parsons
09-23-2002, 08:15 AM
I was talking to someone else at the ramp that had hooked into a tuna with a 12#, theirs was much less than 100# and were able to land it. Although they too broke their rod.

Albiemanmike
09-23-2002, 08:33 AM
Bugger,
Awesome story dude!!! Don't be too depressed as sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. You guy's will be at it again soon I am sure and the next time I bet you are better equiped for the ensuing battle. That was a great story though, made me think of the old man and the sea. Any word on the Bugger Boat??? Let me know how you make out with the Manfacturer, they should replace that hull with a brand new one no questions asked!!!

Tightlines,
Mike M.

Too Fly
09-23-2002, 09:50 AM
WOW! You oughta write a book about this one. Too bad about the fish, maybe next time...

ruge13
09-23-2002, 10:12 AM
ever read "The Old Man and the Sea"????

LandlockedinMI
09-23-2002, 10:21 AM
Saltyb:

All I can say is; WOOOHOOO!!!!!! What fabulous story. Netx time big guy.

ssully
09-23-2002, 11:58 AM
Scott,

Great report. You own John big time now! ;) Way to go guys.

saltybugger
09-23-2002, 01:28 PM
Thanks guys :D

We had a great time, only our second time out for bft and we're both hooked...maybe a 14 weight comin this week :D

Mike, banana boat is still sitting at dealer....maybe see it back by January or February? :( But maybe just in time for some late season cod fisherin :D

And yea I owe bc, some great times the last few weeks!

saltybugger
09-23-2002, 03:24 PM
here's a few highlights of the day with the motley crew and Jonas...

http://www.radiosonline.com/images/Dcp00193.jpg
HARD into the fight!

http://www.radiosonline.com/images/Dcp00190.jpg
He's a RUNNIN!

http://www.radiosonline.com/images/Dcp00181.jpg
CAST CAST :D

saltybugger
09-23-2002, 03:32 PM
http://www.radiosonline.com/images/Dcp00187.jpg
Some INCREDIBLE runs!

http://www.radiosonline.com/images/Dcp00195.jpg
The low point of the day...but nothing to complain about!

saltybugger
09-23-2002, 03:33 PM
Sorry about cutting the lures out of the pics...promised not to give out secret colors :D These tuna only respond to our colors now :D

ruge13
09-23-2002, 03:36 PM
you forgot to cut one out up top....

ruge13
09-23-2002, 03:36 PM
and there it goes....

ruge13
09-23-2002, 03:37 PM
I won;t give away your secret;)

saltybugger
09-23-2002, 03:43 PM
lol good enough :rolleyes:

Bob Parsons
09-23-2002, 05:00 PM
I find it interesting as to the number of people that are holding their cards tight to the chest as to what lure they are using. And I wonder why.

Is the competion for these fish that tight, that people are worried that someone else might catch a fish and thus reduce the #'s they might catch?

Is it an ego thing. ie I have something that works and other don't?

considering the amount of info that has been shared on this board in the past, it just seems odd that this trend exists.

AND it just not this board the trend has sprung up on other boards as well.

Just seem seems odd and out of place.
I will get down off my soap box.... it was about to break anyway.

saltybugger
09-23-2002, 06:04 PM
hehe it CRACKED :D

Bob i'll tell you if you swear in blood :D

It's actually neither, we found a color that worked well. :rolleyes:

Sagebrush
09-23-2002, 07:15 PM
Saltybugger,

I had the experts at polaroid analyze the pixels of your reflective glasses.

You shouldn't be ashamed of using hot pink, in moderation that is.

saltybugger
09-23-2002, 07:21 PM
lol that's bigcat in the pics, i'm UGLIER :D

Better go back to Polaroid, they forgot to take the polarization into account... pink turns another color :D

But then again we WERE near Ptown...could try some pink tutus :D

Sagebrush
09-23-2002, 07:37 PM
Tried the tutu thing, but as a practical matter it tends to chafe when coupled with a stripping a basket.

Bob Parsons
09-23-2002, 07:37 PM
Actually instead of whiting it out I think it would have been better if you did a substitution..... hrmm mayby a big red/white daredevil :D

Vlad Atryzek
09-24-2002, 01:17 PM
Are sure its a tuna? It looks like a sunfish to me.

saltybugger
09-24-2002, 01:25 PM
HAHA! That WAS a sunfish...dude it was an attempt at humor...he came up near the boat and I wanted to cast to it...definitely not the fish we fought :D

roflmao :D

Bassbuster
09-24-2002, 02:02 PM
I saw what looked to be that same sun fish on Sunday. Scarred up and definately bigger than your average sun fish. We had luck hitting on small (2-3 inch) shiny metals, but no luck boating them. Good luck!

saltybugger
09-24-2002, 02:06 PM
yea it was prettyfunny as this fish actually stuck his head out of the water about a foot and a half to look at us with his big eye :D We thought it pretty interesting that he wanted such a close look!

Bassbuster
09-24-2002, 02:24 PM
Yeah Salty, we experienced the same thing, looked like a giant one eye cyclopse (sp??) freak of nature popping out of the water. Not the least bit alarmed by boat or engine, probably accounts for the scares. The footballs quickly grabbed our attn back to the fishing. Have you noticed them not staying up as frequently as compared to the previous 2 weeks? Nothing like this type of fishing to pump up those arms is there? A couple more weeks of this workout and look out Arnold. Fish on!

saltybugger
09-24-2002, 02:42 PM
It's interesting we thought we saw the same thing, but noted several times on the way back into GH that we could come within about 20 yards of breaking fish and even at almost WOT we didn't spook any of them...they didn't seem to care and kept feeding. They definitely getting ready for the big trip!

ekc
09-24-2002, 02:59 PM
Salty- Congrats on a great battle and thanks for sharing it. You and several others have done a great job reporting on these fish and I (and others I'm sure) definitely appreciate it. Tight lines!

bass3six
09-24-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by saltybugger
Sorry about cutting the lures out of the pics...promised not to give out secret colors :D These tuna only respond to our colors now :D

It's a good thing you are still humble!

saltybugger
09-24-2002, 03:55 PM
But Doug didn't you hear about our trained tunas? :D

repete
09-25-2002, 07:41 AM
Actually if you look in one of the pictires you can see the reflection of a.........? I will leave the interpretation to the individual! I would guess the color would be......? Because the reflection does not appear to be dark!

After further image processing, i.e. filtering, edge enhancement and the application of a Forier Transform you can pick up the exact location from the compass and gps.

I think I need to get out more!

Repete!

David Churbuck
09-25-2002, 07:57 AM
This is a thread for the hall of fame.

Bassbuster
09-25-2002, 12:15 PM
By the way, it seems most of the local tackle shops are enjoying the run of all the BFT. Many of the large Penn spinners (7500 - 9500) are flying off the shelves. Anyone know of any specials out there?:confused: :confused:

Too Fly
09-25-2002, 09:00 PM
Boatersworld has a very decent stand up, 20-40 lb. class spinning rod(long foam fore-grip) paired with a 9500 SS for $190.00. If you order online, you get it minus tax and shipping(I believe). Additional charges may apply due to the size and bulk of the rod/reel.

I bought mine from a local boatersworld shop, they had it in the store within a few days.

Paul

finatic
09-26-2002, 07:58 AM
Unbelievable someone would take the time to hide the colors of lures from other fishermen!! I say share the wealth or it will come back to bite you in the behind someday.....guys still have to have the skill to hook up there is a lot more to fishing than color..

aqua
09-26-2002, 12:39 PM
What happen to the boat "SaltyBugger" that it is in the shop till next year.

saltybugger
09-26-2002, 12:48 PM
cracked hull gelcoat...lots :(
Was supposed to be picked up tomorrow from dealer but factory called me today and said not til next saturday now :(