PDA

View Full Version : canal report***

BobG
10-01-2002, 07:48 AM
we went out last night about a half hour after dark. the strong S/W wind made casting very difficult, but it also had the rips very active.
the rips were loaded with small bait, and also small bass (18-28"). IMHO, i don't think we are going to see any appreciable number of large bass this fall. i think it would have happened by now.
but, each cast produced multiple hits, often hitting right back to our boots. but, with about an hour or so left on the tide, the bait suddenly disappeared, and so did the bass.
funny how the patterns change in the fall.
in the summer, the bass really turn on at the end (cold water stage) of the outgoing tide.
when they are in their fall feeding mode, they seem to turn on at the higher (warm water stage)of the tide, and then move on as the tide, and water temp drops.
it won't be long now...:(

bdowning
10-01-2002, 08:26 AM
That class of fish has dominated the Canal for the past few months. I've picked a few bigger ones off the bottom, but you could count them on the fingers of one hand. Last year I had to use both hands and feet! ;)

Lots of PBs in places, but I haven't seen much juvy herring. By the time the rains and/or moon pulls them out of the creeks, here's hoping the bulk of the fish haven't moved on.

-bd

CapeCod
10-01-2002, 08:01 PM
The big fish were on top down at the east jetty around lunch time today. They were smashing bait right up against the northern jetty.

There are limitless numbers of 30-40 pound fish just to the north of the canal. They're passing through now, the problem is keeping the munchkins off the line.

BobG this is the best fall I've ever had just out NE of the canal. They'll be rolling through soon (probably as soon as the sw wind dies)