PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful Bait

BlindSquirrel
10-03-2002, 09:33 AM
Newport Harbor and in fact most of the harbors on the East Passage are loaded with 5" to 7" bunker. The best thing to happen to this area was the Bunker ban in Long Island. We need to think more about bait management as well as the preditor fish. (it is going to bust open here soon!!!)
Fished Sunday at Pt Judith. The light house was the only clean water. Had to work hard to catch the albies but thats what makes it fun.

Sagebrush
10-03-2002, 12:13 PM
This is the best one I heard. The owner or spokesman for one the largest menhaden fishing fleets said the following.

The decline in menhaden is not due to overfishing. There are too many stripers eating them.

Bassbuster
10-03-2002, 12:31 PM
Yeah, that is a good one. I'd hate to see what the pogie population would be if the striper population was actually fully restored. We all know that's not the case. I wonder if part of this spokesperson solution would be to reduce the striper population? $$$ will always cloud one's perspective. Cash out first then worry the problems that you have created in the food chain. Isn't that the way it works?

I've got to get off the soap box, before I go any further.