PDA

View Full Version : Plum Island 10/10 AM

Touching Cloth
10-10-2002, 07:50 PM
Fished Plum Island at sunrise with Sterlings this morning, and did just ok on small schoolies. There were birds working consistently about 1/2 a mile off the beach (ocean), and I saw a guy catching a ton of fish at around 8:30 AM, anchored right outside the MErrimack, about 300 yards off the jetty. Seemed like it would have been a good day to bring my boat, but had no time. I kind of got the feeling that it was the end of the season up there, but the mere presence of any fish indicated to me that there should be good action in the canal, outer cape, and RI for at least another month. Last year at time, I recall the north shore being totally dead. Didn't see what size or type of fish the birds were working, but the guy in the boat was catching decent sized bass. No action in the river itself. All fish caught ont he ocean side of the jetty.

Yozuri-Man
10-10-2002, 09:20 PM
the big ones are "usually" the last to leave. you may not see bird action and blitzes which can usually mark smaller fish but there are fish still holding in rips and other shorleine locales long past most hang up the gear. I know for a fact that keeper size bass were being caught in the second week of december last year in Pleasant Bay. Same deal off the Vineyard.

It just gets a little cold for most when its so late and so hit or miss....
Also, I know a fellow in Maine who is still seeing decent #s of 30" + fish and lots of bait(peanuts & butterfish)

...the trickle down effect till december hopefully...