PDA

View Full Version : Center Consoles and Safety (for children)

msiler
10-19-2002, 09:54 PM
Hi All,
I have my heart set on a CC boat and the wife feels that they may not be safe for small children and does not feel comfortable with us having one as a fishing/family boat...her big concern is comfort and where they will be seated while underway and the possability of a child falling overboard

I would love to hear everyone's comments on the safety/ride issue for small children (1yr old and up) and how you feel on this issue, what you have found with your children and CC's and any modifications or suggestions you may have to make it a more enjoyable and safe time for my wife and daughter when they are on the boat with me cruising our local waters.

Thanks for the help and words of wisdom.

Nauti Buoy
10-20-2002, 10:48 AM
I think concerns about child safety in a CC are legitimate. As in all family boating, real safety results from proper training and discipline, starting with PFDs, of all family members in boating behavior and skills while on board. However, this will take a few years for young children and will require strict adult supervision until they can be trusted to any extent.

In my opinion, dual consoles are safer in regards to child safety in that they seat the kids up front in clear view of the adults while underway. I think they also have more freeboard than center consoles. Further, they provide more weather and spray protection than CCs.

As for fishability, even though it may be a bit easier to walk a fish around on a CC, I've not had any problems fishing out of a DC and working the fish anywhere around the boat. In fact, I like the extra room you generally find in the cockpit area of a DC versus that of a CC. The CCs usually have more than enough casting room (in my view, proportionately too much) in the bow, while the DC has more than adequate casting room (with a casting platform) up front. Finally, I think the DCs have more storage area (inside both consoles plus hatch areas) than CCs (one console plus hatch areas), important for family use.

Good luck with whatever style you choose. Hope I didn't burst your balloon, but that's the way I see it. ;)

Bob Parsons
10-20-2002, 05:16 PM
All comments by NB are valid. If you were to get a CC, look at models that have a good railing. The one year old will be a lap sitter regardless of boat for another year. Many CC have a seat in the front of the console where the kids can sit and you can watch them there. You can find CC with good freeboard height.
You don't say what size boat your looking at.

A CC with a T-top and plastic apron would provide protecton from wind spray.

A boat with a bimini top would provide shade, which I think would be essential for little kids.

Good luck, take advantage of the boat shows. You may have to spend more to accomodate the wife. (But dear you want comfort. :)
Oh and most wifes like a head.

AlderBrookFarm
10-20-2002, 09:24 PM
Another important feature/option to consider is the stand up head in the console. While I have never had the "pleasure" of fishing a boat that had one it certainly seems like a good idea. Assuming you may keep this boat for a little while and have kids you should think about it. Having raised 3 kids of my own I can tell you that they get modest real quick. At some point, fishing with dad for "young ladies" and some boys, becomes less attractive when they have to use a 5 gallon bucket, not to mention that an onboard head could be a selling point with the wife.

echo
11-27-2002, 11:29 PM
Matt,
I can't help you on the boat question...but I talked with you early this year about fishing on St. John, USVI. How did you make out?
Bill

msiler
11-28-2002, 11:06 AM
Hi Bill,
St. John - "total disaster" about sums it up. I had one of the worst vacations of my life in one of my favorite places on earth!

I never even wet a line. Heck, I barely made it out of my room most of the week...I had elbow surgery 2 weeks prior to traveling and had complications when we arrived. Had to see a doc down there, have the elbow drained consult with my surgeon 3 or 4 times almost came home early but alas I simply lived on Oxycontin & Percoset for the week and slept a lot, read when I could see straight...maybe I'll have better luck next time around!!?!?!?

Happy hanksgiving.

echo
11-29-2002, 10:54 PM
Good Gawd, Matt, that sounds awful! And I was feeling sorry for myself 'cause it rained while I was there. I managed to catch one bonefish at Annaberg on spin tackle (hurt my shoulder the first day there casting my 9 wt fly rod-I'm used to casting a 3 wt) and also had what I suspect was a 'cuda take my lure down in Hurricane Hole. I'm headed back in March, a little wiser this time...can't wait!!

michaelnefm
02-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Hey Matt,

I was just looking at some forums, and saw yours. Have you purchased a boat yet? I was in the same situation as you, with a two and four year old. I bought a Hydra Sport 212 CC and it worked out great last year. The boat is high enough to keep them in, and everything is padded for their crash landings - zero cuts/bruises this year. My wife liked it because there was enough room to bring some of their toys out. (not on fishing days.)

Let me know how you made out.

Mike B.