PDA

View Full Version : Insanity outside the ditch

saltybugger
10-26-2002, 05:09 AM
Spent the day yesterday with Marvin in his 14' Lund, we tucked into lees everywhere and man all I can say is if you guys are looking for banner days, take a tour around the west end of the canal! We fished Hog Island, Widows, the rip at the entrance to Onset harbor, the stoney point dike, and behind the dike. We EACH had around 50-60 fish. Most being 15-27" and FATSOS! NO BLUES!
IT WAS ABSOLUTE INSANITY!
A fish on almost every cast if you got your offering within 5' of shore! We constantly saw 10-12 fish chasing the fly back to the boat....STOP the fly 10' off the boat and WHAMMO! What a day!

Oh the highlight of the day was Marvin's first cast of the day...22" striperin the rip outside Onset, fish on....we see this shadow chasing it...couldn't see it well...until it turned...then we see it's like a 50 lb striper around 4.5 feet long.... :eek: :eek: Tried to take a swipe at the little striper but then turned away :(
THAT WAS COOL :D

Scorton Angler
10-26-2002, 11:38 AM
From around 1000am to 1130am this morning (Saturday) I saw (but wasn't fish) an enormous blitz in the middle of the channel right across from the dolphins. Enormous. Literally hundreds of birds. Current was running east, but the incoming tide, pushed by that northeast wind was getting the better of it and I think the bait and fish were caught right in between just inside the canal. While I was there, the fish were too far out for even the most talented casters, but a few guys were jigging up 2-footers that weren't working the main ball of bait. I have never seen so many birds working one blitz for such an extended period of time.

ListLess
10-28-2002, 07:42 PM
What/where are the "dolphins"?

Scorton Angler
10-28-2002, 11:18 PM
Not sure exactly why I have that term in my mind for what are probably more typically called 'pilings.' I've read that ships used to tie up at these pilings, though they don't anymore, so far as I know. In any event, the area I'm referring to I've also seen called Murderer's Row, a moniker whose derivation is probably a lot more interesting that my archaic use of dolphins.

Still more important, there is not a fuller account of the blitz I observed under another thread by someone who, unlike me, actually fished, rather than only observed, the blitz.

bigblue
10-29-2002, 06:42 AM
There was a big ship tied up to those pilings Saturday afternoon. I think it was waiting out the storm on CC Bay.

jettyjockey
10-29-2002, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Scorton Angler
Not sure exactly why I have that term in my mind for what are probably more typically called 'pilings.'

nope, still called the dolphins...:)

Skunk Buster
10-29-2002, 11:10 AM
The precise definition of "dolphin": a cluster of closely driven piles used as a fender for a dock or as a mooring or guide for boats

Scorton Angler
10-29-2002, 03:31 PM
Alright, then. I'll continue to call them dolphins, but with still greater confidence.

More to the point: is this a good spot for wading and fly casting. I am well aware of the spot, but I've never walked down to it in my waders to know if one can wade all the way out to the dolphins. What's the reason this is a notable spot: good rip, wading, stripers like the structure?

And, while we're at it, why's it called, Murderer's Row?

Skunk Buster
10-29-2002, 04:00 PM
The bottom here is fairly sandy up untill you get to the dolphins...you may be able to wade at dead low tide but you soon would be underwater. Some spots are more gently sloping, allowing for a backcast. I like it at near low tide, you can walk down the rocks and better reach the rips and holes. I think it's a good spot because forage creatures can get out of the current, and the bottom is a mix of sand/rock/eel grass that supports lots of fish food.

I believe that a "murder" is another term for a blitz or a school of fish, so maybe that's how the spot got the name. Wherever the name comes from, this spot is incredibly dependable for first light surface action in May and June.