PDA

View Full Version : Thames Put-In

SamRiley
11-07-2002, 08:00 AM
Anyone know of a good put-in south of 95 on the west side of the Thames?

Many thanks :)

ruge13
11-07-2002, 08:52 AM
you could paddle up its only 6 or 7 miles no? :p

ZenFisher
11-07-2002, 11:31 AM
There's a boat launch directly under the I-95 bridges. Access from State Pier Road in New London. This is within a relatively short paddle to the piers and docks down river and across river. (Never paddled from there, but usually launch boat there.) Also, furthur south of the bridges, you should be able to put in at Green's Harbor Beach off Pequot Ave. There is parking directly across street. It's also just up the road from Stash's Cafe. Good pub food and Guinness. Post or e-mail me if you need directions...

SamRiley
11-07-2002, 12:20 PM
ZenFisher - talk about a value added put-in :-% :-% :-%

Thank you so much,
Sam

AlderBrookFarm
11-07-2002, 03:59 PM
Oooohhhhh Stash's. How do you put those cute glasses in here anyway...

joev
11-07-2002, 10:30 PM
Sam Lots of traffic there.Ferrys and commercial guys.Be careful.Where are you trying to fish?Watch out for the high speed cat ferry that thing throws a mean wave.
JoeV

RIBill
11-08-2002, 03:06 AM
Whooaa! good advice, Joe! and Zenfisher... was that custommade advice for Riley or what? right up his alley.

Joe and others: has anyone yakked around the Ft. Trumbull piers? are they in the ferry wake zone? does that thing throw a wake even there within the "harbor"?

Alder: you know how to add the smilies, don't you? just click on em.:-%

AlderBrookFarm
11-08-2002, 04:41 AM
Being a State Park now, Ft Trumbull has gates that they close. There is a pier right on the same point where fishing boats dock to the north of the Fort, past where the USGA boats are docked. It always looked pretty tempting to me when we were bringing the fill in to that site. I also haven't been down there since we finished that job so they could have more gates and fences. I can't remember the name of the street but if you drove in to the gates to the park, just in case they are open:) and turn left if they aren't...you are forced to go around the block. At the first intersection you come to go right. Keep going straight and the fishing docks are eventually on your right. You could then ask them if you could park and launch there. There was a nice slope with a little beach at most tide. Some rip rap to hold the bank but nothing you can't make your way over with a yak.

AlderBrookFarm
11-08-2002, 04:44 AM
Oh...I forgot...you guys can go under the 10' RR overpass. Take Howard Street off of Bank St., Its a left coming from the State Pier (in case you stopped at that launch first) Take your first left under a RR bridge. The second left will be the road to the fish dock.

Cheers!!!!:-% :-% :-%

SamRiley
11-08-2002, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the warnings and advice guys. It is going to be way too nice this weekend to sit around the house. Get out there and fish--127-3-

joev
11-08-2002, 09:00 AM
Bill They still throw a good size wake. They all go thru there all day.

Sam if your looking to fish them rocks on the West side of mouth you can probaley put in at Waterford beach.I think thats where the float tube guys go in.

JoeV