PDA

View Full Version : "Reading the Water" for $150.00?

bigblue
11-27-2002, 09:03 AM
I read that somebody paid that much for it. Wow! Good thing I bought my copy eight years ago. I got a paperback copy and was disappointed I couldn't find a hardcover copy.:eek:

David Churbuck
11-27-2002, 09:45 AM
Wow, that is pricey.
Alibris has three listed for sale and the cheapest (all hardcover) is $85.

Pequot needs to reissue this title.

Link to alibris listing (http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm?qwork=5567379&ptit=Reading%20the%20Water%3A%20Adventures%20in%20 Surf%20Fishing%20on%20Martha%27s%20Vineyard&pauth=Post%2C%20Robert%20J%2E%2C%20and%20Lyman%2C% 20Henry&pisbn=&pbest=84%2E94&pbestnew=1000000%2E00&pqty=3&pqtynew=0&matches=3&qsort=r)

bigblue
11-27-2002, 09:52 AM
They say people are stealing copies from libraries. No wonder!:(

JSeamans
11-27-2002, 10:08 AM
I contacted Pequot a couple of year ago (there was a Reel-Time thread about it and a couple of us were involved) and they were not interested in reissuing the book even though we said there would be a market for it. I also contacted a publisher in NYC (Lyons & Burford I think, can't remember offhand) and they said it's a fine book but not interested. I think it's high time that Reading the Water was updated in a memorial edition honoring Robt. Post with new interviews with the original participants. Hell, I could write it if there was financing...

tunnie md
11-27-2002, 10:15 AM
Maybe the book was signed?

They should definitely have a second edition of that book.
There are a handful of young guys out there that carry on the tradition of that book very well. I think it would be cool to write about the next generation and how they compare to their mentors.

bigblue
11-27-2002, 10:29 AM
I think the guy just wanted to have it and it was worth it to his wife to get for him as a Christmas present.
I've read and re-read it many times. The book has that rare quality of enabling the reader to feel like he's there experiencing the exploits of the Surf fishermen/women of the Vineyard. I felt like I was Kevin Hansen when I ran into that school of large Bass this season while fishing live eels.
Remember that the book was written at the time that the Striped Bass was in danger.

bigblue
11-27-2002, 12:15 PM
How much would the rights be to publish the book again? Anybody have any idea?

David Churbuck
11-27-2002, 02:08 PM
That would probably be up to Dr. Post's heirs who probably hold the copyright.

dc

Sentience
11-27-2002, 02:56 PM
Wow. I have a first edition that is signed by both the author and a few of the fishermen. The signed fishermen thing was actually a bit of a joke when it happened. You know, asking an old school angler for an 'autograph' to get his goat. The dust jacket is a bit roughed up, but I didn't realize it was worth so much. I love the book. It instills a real sense of history to the vineyard angler. It explains a lot of the names and such. The only thing that I don't like about it now are the stories about taking 20 and 30 fish in a day. I know that all the bass fishermen now are saddened by those days too, but sometimes those stories are now tainted because of this. It is too bad. A highly recommended read though.

bdowning
11-27-2002, 03:26 PM
The author was signing first editions at that bookstore in Vineyard Haven. I spoke to him but I was too cheap to buy the hardcover for him to autograph. A few years later I bought the paperback used. Some things never change I guess: I'm still, ahem, frugal :rolleyes:.

The bits about the lengths to which the old timers would go to cover their tracks and keep their spots secret makes it one of the best (and funniest) fishing books ever.

-bd

bigblue
12-02-2002, 07:55 AM
Given the prolferation of Striped Bass/Surf fishing books, it's kind of hilarious that those publishers aren't interested in reissueing this book. This book stands head and shoulders above anything that's been written since. IMO it may be the best book ever written about Striper fishing.
I read parts of mine over the weekend. :)

bigblue
12-18-2002, 09:22 AM
Someone says that there is/was a copy on Ebay for $97.00. I thought about doing that, but it kind of seems like I'd be ripping off my fellow Surf Fishermen.
I wish they'd print up another hardcover edition...I was reading mine in the bathtub after a night of fishing and fell asleep for a second and got my paperback copy wet.--124-3

bigblue
12-18-2002, 09:26 AM
Hey...is that one of you guys? It says the person is from Cape Cod.

JSeamans
12-20-2002, 10:20 AM
FYI Now that my night schooling is on hiatus I'm going to to poke around and try and find out what the deal is with this book. We last looked into it a couple of years ago and came to a dead end (publisher wasn't interested, but interestingly enough a second publisher I contacted, Lyons and Burford, has since merged with Globe Pequot Press). So many Reel Timers are touting it as one of the finest fishing books ever and I agree. Just the human element of the little deceptions (sweeping away the marks on the beach after dragging a keeper into the dunes) and the stories like the brothers with the trunkful of monster bass make this my all time fave. I have another call into the publisher, I'll post if there's any update. I think there should be a revised edition with a piece on Post, updates on all the surviving anglers, and some mention of the Great Striper Revival and conservation drive of the intervening years.

JS

bigblue
12-20-2002, 11:55 AM
Maybe we can use these internet boards to convince a publisher to take a chance and publish it again. It would be cool to get an update on the people in the book. Some of them have passed, I fear. I would like to know how Dr. Post felt about the fishing when it started to return.

Right now there are active threads here, in StriperSurf.cam and Striped-Bass.com about the book.

I think part of the reason that it wasn't published very many times is that most people thought the book just applied to fishing on Martha's Vineyard. IMO it's sort of all-encompassing as far as Striped Bass fishing is concerned. The surfcasters from all over the coast, different ages, genders and describing almost every technique used.