PDA

View Full Version : Raining on Thoreau's Parade

ruge13
02-24-2003, 08:44 AM
"Then to my morning work. First I take an axe and pail and go in search of water, if that be not a dream. After a cold and snowy night it needed a divining-rod to find it. Every winter the liquid and trembling surface of the pond, which was so sensitive to every breath, and reflected every light and shadow, becomes solid to the depth of a foot or a foot and a half, so that it will support the heaviest teams, and perchance the snow covers it to an equal depth, and it is not to be distinguished from any level field. Like the marmots in the surrounding hills, it closes its eyelids and becomes dormant for three months or more. Standing on the snow-covered plain, as if in a pasture amid the hills, I cut my way first through a foot of snow, and then a foot of ice, and open a window under my feet, where, kneeling to drink, I look down into the quiet parlor of the fishes, pervaded by a softened light as through a window of ground glass, with its bright sanded floor the same as in summer; there a perennial waveless serenity reigns as in the amber twilight sky, corresponding to the cool and even temperament of the inhabitants. Heaven is under our feet is well as over our heads."
-- Henry David Thoreau

Walden in Winter Chpater 16 in full (http://nanosft.com/walden/essays/wal16winter.html)

Despite not having a grill for lunch, a studied contour map proved useful in keeping the action steady. What does a contour map have to do with a grill you ask?? Well, constant flags for 2 hours keeps Sam busy. This is always good for a productive day of fishing because as we all know, without action and food, Sam aka Bass Candy aka Skunkmaster aka Perch boy eats the bait. In search of trout, we threw power bait, meal worms, and shiners through 18 inches of ice. Surprised by the diversity, we got a few monster perch, ones that would eat Lovell's for breakfast, a couple decent largemouth (the pic was the smallest but had the best coloration), a couple smallmouth about 2 lbs and Sam aka Bass Candy aka Skunkmaster aka Perch boy now aka Trout Unlimited was busy bringing home the bacon with 2 brightly colored Browns. Clearly an early morning fishery for us, action died off towards the afternoon with one hole producing consistently all day long. Fortunately the rain stopped just as the park opened. Warmwater species found near the humps, trout a little deeper.

Bob Parsons
02-24-2003, 09:14 AM
Wow such a great day for divirsity.

Where we going next weekend?

SamRiley
02-24-2003, 09:43 AM
Shaun beat me to the post again but here is a little more info on the day.

I started off as auger boy while Shaun followed with the tilts and Shiners. Hole one was easy enough... hole two a little tough... almost died drilling hole three and still have no idea how I made it through hole four. As we trudged out to start on hole five, off goes the fourth hole. We dropped the gear and ran over to find the line running off at a good clip but wound up loosing the fish. Trudge back to start on #5 and there goes #4 again. This time we land a 12" Perch. Get back to #5 and am 1/3 through it when there goes #4 again... this time a Large Mouth. Back to #5 and you guessed it, #4 goes off again... a Small Mouth. Finally get through the 5th hole and are about to set the tilt when for a change of pace off goes #2 with a 14" Brown. The rest of the morning went on like this with #4 going off regularly and one more Brown landed before noon. Things got quiet after that but what a morning.

One more thing... half the holes we drilled were self skimming. Once we broke through, the water on the surface set up a whirlpool going down which sucked all the chimps and slush away. Pretty cool.

I'm out for next weekend due to a trade show in Vegas.... come on eight... daddy needs some new tip-ups :D

Bob Parsons
02-24-2003, 10:22 AM
only 5 between the two of your??????

daddy needs some new tip-ups
Uhhh something your not telling us :D

SamRiley
02-24-2003, 11:24 AM
No, the action eventually slowed down enough for us the set the rest but that one hole sure was lucky.

rockfisherman
02-24-2003, 11:36 AM
Sam,

I hope you had your GPS with you and marked the location of hole #4. ;)

Paul