PDA

View Full Version : Edgartown - Katama Bay Boat Ramp

Mark Cahill
02-28-2003, 08:51 AM
Concrete pad. Need info from those who use it.

Click here for the Map (http://www.state.ma.us/dfwele/pab/pabpdfs/PAB-108.PDF)

ruddyduc
03-09-2005, 10:11 AM
Anything over 21' would be a challenge. Very small turning radius when pulling the boat out. Able to be done without driving over the curbing with truck and trailer tires(just barely) with 21"cc, dual axle trailer with Ford F250 regular cab. Very short, narrow, and steep concrete ramp, but allows you to float a 21' deep V' boat at low tide. Extra lows are another story. Rarely ever a full lot, but has much heavier use during summer weekends. Just get there early and your all set.

mumichog
03-11-2005, 10:13 AM
I have used this ramp frequently and ruddyduc is on the mark. I might add we've never had trouble floating (20' CC) the boat off the trailer it's just that at very low tide the channel is quite narrow, so don't let yourself drift too far away from the ramp and you'll be fine. Narrow channel is well marked by late-May, it widens out once you turn the corner and get into the mooring area. Turning radius problem I think depends on trailer/vehicle, can be tight but curbs are not that high if you need to crawl over one. I concur that parking is rarely a problem thru mid June at least. Many people collect shellfish directly across from the ramp and then to the east, must be a good spot because we often see people making some really good hauls.

Living Waters
04-30-2005, 07:22 AM
Used that launch last September, I thought it was great. The best part was
there was hardly any other people using it. It does take some time to get to
open water, so allow an extra 15 minutes to get to the entrance of Edgartown
Harbor. There is also a really cool estuary, (Caleb's Pond), in Katama for
early season striper action. A few cautions:
1. Cement blocks on both sides of the launch ramp. Their sole purpose in life is
to remove trailer tail lights.
2. Turning radius is a little tight on exit. The curb is easy to drive over though.
I launched/removed my 19' at all tides and had no issues.