PDA

View Full Version : Ipswich - Ipswich River Boat Ramp

Mark Cahill
02-28-2003, 08:03 AM
Concrete - need info from those who use it.

Click here for the Map (http://www.state.ma.us/dfwele/pab/pabpdfs/PAB-79.PDF)

mdglaw
03-30-2003, 01:11 PM
Ramp is fairly easy to access. There is a cost per use. If you arrive early they put an envelope on your car. Gets very crowded as the day goes on. Pulling out can be tricky timing.

Waterway is tricky to use at low tide. Not a lot of room for error. In fact, for some boats no margin at all.

Fishing is quite good in the river, but can be very buggy. Good river for light fly tackle. Outside have to watch for sand bars but can have some very good flats fishing.
Mike

BigBoatDog
08-29-2004, 06:33 PM
Avoid this ramp 1-2 hours before after low tide. There is no easy to follow channel at low tide. and plenty of rocks near the ramp to damage your propeller (1 good ding in new prop). Also long way out to bay.
BBD

Bruce H
08-31-2004, 06:02 AM
Come on isn't that the fun with boating in New England??? Sorry it is tough at low water to say the least Worst stretch is the area just before the mouth from Fox Creek to the Jetty.

BigBoatDog
08-31-2004, 06:39 AM
Yeah, fun isn't it.

medburd
08-31-2004, 01:26 PM
I agree the area just after fox creek does stink...but the good thing is it is "mostly" sand..unless your way way left..I've found at lower tides to run in the mooring area..but don't take your prop out of the water if you can help it, to keep it under power for manueverablity...I'm sure anyone that has a boat moored over there wouldn't appreciate any damage to there hulls. Some other areas to concern yourself are just at the boat ramp...big rocks on the river bends in the no wake zone!! so try to stay in the middle of the river on your way through the no wake zones!! Once you get past the no wake on the way out just point and shoot to the next channel marker...after you get past that next marker it does get a little dry or "skinny" as they say so if you have a depth sounder watch it...it can get shallow quick!....They really need to remark this river's channels!! take your time and you should be fine....have someone on the bow siting for you..it can be difficult to see bottom at times but you never know what's in front of you...--123-3