PDA

View Full Version : Sea Robins

Cheju
04-13-2003, 07:54 AM
When do Sea Robins start to appear in R.I.?

Will we have a "bumper crop" this year like we did last year?

What is the world record for a Sea Robin caught on a fly rod with an 8 # tippet?

Are they good to eat?

Any recipes?

Last year I caught a slug of them but didn't know anything about them or what to do with them. This year I want to be prepared.

Cheju:confused:

Touching Cloth
04-13-2003, 08:12 AM
I've always heard that they were mostly terrible to eat except for the nose. I heard that when I was really young, and have held fast to that belief ever since. Don'nt know if I was being snowed, but that's what I heard. We used to catch a ton of those fishing off NJ growing up, and always considered them a trash fish.

SaltyBoy
04-13-2003, 11:08 AM
sea robins are very annoying because they eat up ur baits. if u want to find them, then fish off on the bass river bridge on rt 28 and u will find them. plus, they have some sculpin bony structure that can inflict u. no, they arent great to eat from what i heard. however, they are used as baits for fluke, black seabass, croakers, and skipjacks.

tunnie md
04-13-2003, 11:22 AM
I usually don't start targetting them till July, though I'm sure they appear sooner. I can't really give away secret locations, you never know who is reading this. One day my spot is empty next its full.
Best advice I can give is pick your days, ask your local tackle shops, do a search on the forums, and spend lots of time on the water.

Tight Lines, Quit wishin go fishin, Good Luck.

SaltyBoy
04-13-2003, 11:41 AM
ofc not, man.

capemike88
04-13-2003, 06:56 PM
What flies do you use to catch them? I would think crabs on minnow imatations. I have caught 5+ pounders on my UL using squid, clams, sand eels, or sea worms as bait.

Thank's again,

mike

rockfisherman
04-13-2003, 08:15 PM
The world record searobin (according to last year's IGFA book) is 3 lbs. 6 oz. Mike, you better start weighing in your fish. Sounds like you've tossed some world records back.

Soundking
04-13-2003, 09:39 PM
Thats hilarious, that person has no shame who holds that record. Damn man, whoever entered that either has no clue about gamefish, or was really desperate to get his name in there. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA:D

rockfisherman
04-13-2003, 11:32 PM
The holder of the world record Striped Searobin. Mt. Sinai, LI, NY, June 22, 1988. Good for him. Dunno what the Northern Searobin record is. Every species has a fan. I say good on you, mate.

Cheju
04-14-2003, 07:24 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Next time I catch one, I will look for the nose. I am sure it is not in an obvious place.

The posted IGFA recors gives us all something to shoot for. There must be a four pounder lurking out there somewhere.

Understand the SPAM fly works wellin esturaryene locations.

Cheju

rockfisherman
04-14-2003, 09:39 AM
The searobin listed in the record book is a striped searobin. No listing for the northern searobin, Prionotus carolinus. It must be wide open. Let a RT'r be the new world record holder...the gauntlet is cast.

I don't see any fly rod tippet classes for searobins listed.

Looked up searobin in McClanes Encyclopedia. It says they are tasty.

hydroTechNoCrat
04-14-2003, 10:23 AM
When we were kids, my 10 year old cousin caught one. It was so ugly it made him cry. But we cooked it up, and it tasted quite good.

Ugly fish on the outside, nice white meat on the inside.

All it needs is a yuppy name like "Peruvian Rock Fish" and you could probably make a fortune marketing it!

DTB

manomet
04-14-2003, 10:28 AM
LOL, Ok does anyone have the posted IGFA records for spiny dog fish & also Cunner ?:-%

notime
04-14-2003, 10:39 AM
When I was a kid we fished for flounder in Ninigret pond and one year we caught a ton of searobins. Back then, we always caught a lot of flounder but never any searobins. We decided to keep a few and try them. They are very easy to clean and very tasty. The meat is in the tail section. The skin is very tough, thus you can easily seperate the meat from the skin. The head didn't look very tasty so we left that area alone, but more power to you touching cloth. As for recipes, we cooked it as we did flounder. My guess is we covered them with bread crumbs and pan fried the searobins.

As for flys, ask Rockfisherman. I think he caught one on a clouser while trolling last fall. No doubt he tied a bunch this winter to try and bag the world record.

rockfisherman
04-14-2003, 12:11 PM
I forget which fly that was. I think it was a chart/white one.

OK, you asked for it. The IGFA world record spiny dogfish is 15 lbs. 12 oz. caught in Kenmare Bay, County Kerry, Ireland by May 26, 1989 by Horst Willi Muller. Way to go, Willi !!

Couldn't find an entry for cunner. Must be an open category.

Lunchtime and a nice plate of Peruvian Rock Fish sounds good about now. :) :-%

capemike88
04-14-2003, 07:43 PM
There are sea robins on the Cape that push 20+ inches!
Maybe I should get one wayed in, I caught one last year on whole dead herring, I have no clue how it got it in it's mouth.

Bob Parsons
04-14-2003, 07:51 PM
A much larger relative of the sea robin is the sculpin. Overall very similar but larger and with out the feelers under the chin.
They are equally ugly, and unpleasant to hold but being larger offer more meat for the table. I sincerely doubt you will find a sea robin pushing 20".

capemike88
04-14-2003, 07:56 PM
Are there sculpin on the Cape in shallow water? If there are, then that's probably what I'm talking about!

Thank's again,

mike

rockfisherman
04-14-2003, 08:46 PM
The question is, who will take top honors on RT for the new world record sea robin?

ikarus47
04-14-2003, 09:35 PM
Hi ya'll,

I tend to catch all my Peruvian Rock Fish (I love that name) when targeting stripers. I have never seen one refuse any striper fly. In fact the last one I caught was sloshing around he water surface near me, and as I did not move out of the way, it rolled into my stripping basket (ie no fly required).........

I am told the tail is where it's at if you cook one. I am still afraid to touch one.

Andreas.

Cheju
04-15-2003, 07:01 AM
A Cambodian friend told me that the best parts of The Peruvian Rock Fish( Sea Robin) to eat are the lips, the cheeks and the nose. They also consider the feelers a delicacy when sauteed in honey, garlic and fish sauce.

Any reports on Sea Robins being caught yet with sea lice?

Cheju:confused:

ruge13
04-15-2003, 09:23 AM
I see a summer contest for a free Shirt curtousy of the newly designed reel-time shwag.....
Record Sea Robin for a shirt? Open it for a month or so??

Cheju
04-15-2003, 11:08 AM
Sounds good! Actually four T-shirts will be needed. There should be an All Tackle catagory as well as Fly-Fishing. These should be divided into right handed and left handed entries.

Cheju

Luv2Fish
04-15-2003, 11:54 AM
How do you determine if the fish is left or right handed?:D

Cheju
04-15-2003, 12:54 PM
That is a job best left up to the experts who will be running the contest and awarding the Prize T-SHIRTS with the brand-spanking- new logos on them!

Cheju

Cheju
04-15-2003, 12:56 PM
Sorry, should have been T-Shirts.

Cheju:rolleyes:

notime
04-15-2003, 04:08 PM
Cheju,

I'll save you the lips, cheeks, nose, and feelers on the next sea robin I catch.