PDA

View Full Version : Sage DS2

Johnny P.
05-05-2003, 11:06 AM
Good morning all,

Anyone have an opinion about the Sage DS2 fly rod? I'm thinking of picking up a 4pc. 8wt., but I can't tell if the salesman is blowing smoke about the quality of the rod.

I know Sage doesn't make anything half-assed, but it is a lower end Sage rod...about $285 or so. The website says it's a beginners rod...I'm not a beginner, but it's a nice stiff pole and I don't see too much diff. between it and the higher ends.

Any suggestions would really help thanx!

Johnny

Mark Cahill
05-05-2003, 11:14 AM
I don't feel the need to shell out hundreds more for the flavor of the month (or the season). I like the DS 2 and would buy another...

Mine's a 10 wt.

Johnny P.
05-05-2003, 11:22 AM
Hey Mark...thanx for the feedback.

So you like the DS2? I really like it, but I don't want to cry about it later just to save some bucks. I'm just outta college and poor so it's a matter of economics, but it seems like legitimate choice.

Is it a fairly fast action rod?

ssully
05-06-2003, 12:44 AM
Jonny B,

Sorry to disagree with Mark ( Hi Mark!) but I would recommend a Temple Forks rod. Half the money with a lifetime warranty. I think the DS2 is soft by comparison. To really know cast them both (or a bunch of different rods) then make up your mind.

FWIW, I'm not dissing Sage Rods because I own a RPLXi thats a cannon but a different price point. I also snapped my TF rod and got a replacement no questions asked.

my .02

Roop
05-06-2003, 08:42 AM
I'll back up Sully - I used to recomend the DS2 for a beginner rod - the 10 weight using a 9 weight line but, TF is really turning the industry around.

Buy the best rod you can afford - at this price point it's the TF, buying a "beginner" rod is just a waste of money as your abilities improve and your rod's will not.

Mark Cahill
05-06-2003, 09:00 AM
Frankly, I think we place way too much emphasis on rods...

The rod does not make the caster. While a high quality rod adds something, it is the casters technique that makes the big difference. Just watch someone like Kreiger cast a full line using only the tip of whatever rod he has at hand and you will understand that it is the mechanics of the cast that make the difference.

There is a preponderance of emphasis placed on using "fast" rods, but frankly, in the NE wind, a slower action can actually work better at times.

Don't fall into the flavor of the season trap. By all means, get the best deal, but remember, this isn't golf where spending an extra $300 is going to add 70 yards to your drive. The differences in casting are not that cut and dried. Find one that works for you and use it.

Of course, I started using glass rods in the '70's, and will still use a glass rod on occassion...

Nothing against Temple Fork Rods, I will give them a shot at some point, but as I have way too many rods already, they'd almost have to give me one to get me to switch...

Johnny P.
05-06-2003, 10:59 AM
Well thanks for all the comments...I guess I need to try everything out for myself. I certainly don't HAVE TO HAVE a big name brand like Sage, and I'm certainly not out to impress anyone.

I just want a quality rod, quality deal and I want it w/ a co. that will honor my warranty in 10 years when I break it somehow. That's why Temple Forks makes me uneasy. Granted I don't know anything about their financial status, but being in business, I see companies like this disappear like a fart in the wind on a daily basis.

However, It's certainly worth taking a look. Should I be looking at the saltwater series?

again, thanx for your help fellas!

Mark Cahill
05-06-2003, 11:44 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about that. They're here, they're selling, and if you like the rod, buy it...

A 4 pc 10wt for $149 is a pretty good price...

Johnny P.
05-06-2003, 12:00 PM
Ok Mark, I trust your judgement. I just called the New England rep and let him that I'd like to cast a couple. It is a great price; I hope I like 'em!

bass3six
05-06-2003, 12:17 PM
As an owner of a 9', 9 wt. 2 piece DS2...I gotta agree with ssully and Roop.
While I have used mine for 3-4 seasons, I think that it is a bit wimpy. I'd prefer a little stiffer action rod.
But...that won't happen this year.
BTW....I believe that Sage came out with a newer entry level rod, even less expensive than the DS2.

kkbward
05-07-2003, 02:05 PM
I own a 2pc 7wt that I use on big western rivers, mostly to fish streamers. I have used it for stripers and blues and I personally loved it...

Now, I like slow rods. I prefer to feel a rod load. It can be tough to throw into the wind and it can't really carry big flies, but that has more to do with the fact it is a 7wt.

It requires me to work on my casting instead of having the rod do the work for me. Therefore, I totally disagree that this is a good rod for beginners.

Any rod that is especially slow, or esepecially fast, is a difficult rod for a beginner. The only reason these are pitched as beginner rods is because they are cheaper. IMO, A moderately fast rod is the easiest to cast. Anyone who fishes bamboo (i know this does not really apply to salt) will tell you about the difficulties (and joys) of casting slow rods....

just another perspective to consider...

eng5
04-28-2004, 11:26 PM
I have a 6wt 2pc, that I bought this past winter. I have been casting it every chance I get along with my other faster rods, just to see the difference. There is a big difference. It is a slower rod, but I really like it. It is the fresh water version. So if you are looking for a faster rod, I would go in a different direction.
I work at a tackle shop once in a while, and we just had the Albright rep come last week, and I tried out his rods and I was impressed, so you might want to look at those. I think the high end one is about $325.

Markymark
04-29-2004, 01:03 AM
I bought mine when they were $170. Use it for bass fishing in freshwater,6wt.-9ft. The best little rod I ever used,had more fun with that one than the "MARTIN" my wife got me for Xmas 20 yrs. ago.

dereks
04-29-2004, 06:34 PM
FYI- Sage redesigned the 9wt DS2 when they came out with the 4pc 2 years ago. It is a totally different rod than the previous 2pc 9wt rods and the 4 pc 8wt. Far less wimpy and finally selling as well as other rods in that $$ range. The TFO's are still very tough to beat for the $$$. Good luck, Derek

uncle4
04-29-2004, 11:13 PM
Welp... yet _another_ opinion (and a golf story for Mark).

Research on golfers spending $$$ on that new, sexy, graphite-
boron-titanium-leather-spandex 'club of the month' has
imperically been shown to improve distance and accuracy....
for about 3-6 weeks for a commited golfer. Biomechanical
engineers and sports physiologists figger it this way: The
golfer with the 'new' clubs focuses more on the basics, and
goes back to the lessons and muscle-memory of how things
are 'spozed' to work in a swing.... when the novelty of the
clubs wear off the golfers (almost always) revert back to
their old ways of bad habits and poor shots.

Could be true with a fly rod: A guy who always casts a
trailing loop might get better (for a short period of time)
with a new rod... but I wouldn't bet on it.

I've bought (and won) a _ton_ of rods, but for salt I go back
to two favorites: both of which are stupid-fast action. I also
use a stupid-slow cane rod on fresh water..... but this is, I think,
a matter of personal opinion (fast vs slow). I agree with kkbward
that an excessively fast or slow rod is tougher to cast (till you
get used to it). In fact, a buddy of mine who won the ESPN
GoodWill Games casting competition the first two years cast my
favorite rod<s> and after two or three casts put them down and
said "I can't cast these" (He ended up using an old, medium-soft
Scott rod I own)

Having said all that: I've cast 'new' DS2s for each of the past
5 years or so and thought they were way too soft, and didn't
care for 'em. Derek sez this year's are faster (I can't confirm
this... but I can confirm that Derek cooks a mean beer & burger...
TKS!). I've cast the TFO and think they're medium-slow,
and overall liked them for the price. Scott, Orvis, Cabela's and
other companies are emerging with cut-rate rods (that aren't
cut-rate quality). Your best bet would be to pay a premium for
buying a rod at a local tackle shop: Schmooz 'em, cast a couple
on the yard.. mebbe even rent a rod or go on a charter with a
guide who's got a closet full of different rods to try.

You've bought the wrong rod if, a couple of days/weeks/hours later,
you regret not getting something else: That condition will definitely
hamper both your casting and your angling enjoyment. And, in
closing, NO ONE knows what rod you're going to like/enjoy better
than you: But you won't know the right rod either till your arm
goes numb test-casting each and every one.

Cheers, and post pictures!!!

Uncle 4

FlyFishMich
04-29-2004, 11:24 PM
Have had 9', 2pc 9wt & 10wt Sage "Discovery" rods from before they were DS2 (probably at least 8 years+++) and love them....they are pretty much bulletproof and suit a variety of casting styles. They have my vote, for the money although the TF rods are pretty inexpensive. The Sage's have handled tarpon, stripers, king salmon, bluefish, albies, steelhead, etc, etc, etc without fail...higher modulus=fragility....get the Sage! --127-3-