PDA

View Full Version : north shore 5/7 pm- wierd things a happenin

Soundking
05-07-2003, 07:58 PM
Went down to the rocks to the right of mingo beach tonight, in a half-hearted attempt at a schoolie, when suddenly, fish started swirling all around me, bait sprays, the whole nine yards. Wasnt getting any hits, so after some thought, and seeing that bait that were fleeing, I decided to go grab the 2 and some size 10 gotchas. I returned, and the fish were still there. I hooked up every cast with either a huge blueback or shad everycast until the school moved further down the rocks with the tide. Really bizarre behavior, I've never seen herring and shad busting on bait like stripers. Hopefully the bass will be here by the weekend, b/c theres tons a forage for them.

gcwilk
05-08-2003, 09:30 AM
That must be what I came upon the other night in Rockport - Tuesday I think it was. I looke out my window around sunset and saw swirls, splashes, etc. Ran down the rocks and took several casts with a small fin-s and got/saw nothing although the action was still there on the surface - Whatever it was was really small.

ruge13
05-08-2003, 10:11 AM
I was out last night around Deer Island Rip with Riley just before dark and we saw the same thing. Fish were popping up all around us here and there just after sunset. I tried thowing a small rubber shad thinking they might be schoolies but never got a bump. The Cat's gone, mice must be out...

Northshoreguy
05-08-2003, 02:13 PM
Saw the same thing in Magnolia Harbor Sunday Night! Sripers can't be far behind.

sterlings
05-08-2003, 02:49 PM
how big were the shad?

any decent sized ones?

Soundking
05-08-2003, 03:12 PM
I saw one real nice shad pop out of the water chasing bait, and out of the two shad that I caught, the biggest was about 17 inches, the smaller one was about 15 inches, not huge, but great fight on the 2. Again, I did see some real nice shad both cruising and popping out after bait, so I assume that they are mixed in. The herring were much more agressive than the shad though, and out of the fifteen fish I caught, only those two were shad.