PDA

View Full Version : city fishing

edsly42
05-31-2003, 11:01 AM
Hi all,
I am from boston but I am working an internship and living in downtown manhattan this summer from jun9-aug2nd. Is there any point in bringing my saltwater flyfishing stuff? I have no car but would kill myself if i have to go w/out salt flyfishing of some sort for those 2 months. any suggestions? thanks
ed

sandflyx
06-01-2003, 06:41 PM
I've never fished there myself, but have met people who just go to the waterfront and throw the fly. check the local shops in the N.Y. area. theres one right in manhatten..

kiltiii
06-02-2003, 12:25 PM
Ed:

My advice is to hire a guide for the first few times you want to fish in and around NYC for stripers, blues, weaks, whatever.

You don't *have* to, but in my own personal experience it's well worth the expense. You'll get the whole routine down much better than if you try fishing beneath bridges and off jetties without much info to start.

From Manhattan you have many choices within 20 minutes to two hours away for really fantastic fishing. From Raritan Bay to NY Harbor, the East River, up on the Sound near City Island, Jamaica Bay, Connecticut coast, all the way out to Montauk. A good guide will help you narrow it all down. Also, they'll have good advice on patterns and access, etc. Hey, they know most guys can't afford $350 every weekend to fish...Or maybe you can?

No car? Some guides will pick you up from a marina downtown. When you're on your own, you can head out to Robert Moses on the LIE, or buses up to City Island, hell, even head out to Brooklyn and fish from the rocks. Don't laugh, I've done it. Lots of places to go without wheels.

Anyway, check out the guides section on Reel-time and contact any of them and do a little research. Ask lots of questions. If you want to e-mail me off the board, I'll even recommend a few.

I wish someone had e-mailed me five years ago with this advice, so I'm just passing it on.

Good luck and oh yeah, I forgot, definitely bring your salt gear with you this summer.

Geo

Luv2Fish
06-02-2003, 12:50 PM
Try hooking up with a guide named Brian Goulart, sorry I don't know any of his contact numbers.

stevec
06-03-2003, 02:47 PM
The guys at urban angler are real helpful. They know tons of stuff and aren't mooks about sharing it.
206 5th Ave
212-689-6400
If you are taking your car with you during your internship, there are tons of spots to fish within driving distance of NYC .
Drop me a line, I'll hook ya up!

JDR
06-03-2003, 04:29 PM
Hey,
I am interning in White Plains and looking for people to fish with. I don't know the immediate NYC waters but am starting to get familiar with the proximate CT waters. Email me at JDR_7@yahool.com and maybe we can hook up.

Jeff

ACE
06-18-2003, 12:09 AM
I read somewhere about some lunatic waiting for the Staten Island ferry to pull out of the Battery slip and casting into the immense prop wash. seems the fish waited for the disoriented bait. If you have waders, hop on the train from Grand Central and take the train to Rye, greenwich, Norwalk, Westport or farther where you can walk in to areas that have very restricted car access and cast away. Explore on your own or PM me for a suggestion.

edsly42
06-18-2003, 03:33 PM
ace,
could you give me some suggestions if you wouldnt mind? im working alot and dont have alot of prospecting time. thanks.
ed

flyflngr
06-18-2003, 05:44 PM
This is my second season salt water fly fishing and I'm having a great spring season at Breezy Point. Believe it or not I think there is a bus stop near the Riis landing Coast Guard station. I also heard there will be a NY Waterway ferry service to Jacob Riis Park that will land right at the CG station (just west of the Marine Parkway Bridge, on the Rockaway side). You need a sticker to park and fish at the jetty, so I would ask around and see if you can hook up with someone who can get you out there. I've been told its the best spot in the NY metro area, and I can say for myself, at least this spring, its true...Best of luck to you!

ACE
06-20-2003, 08:51 PM
O.K. Ed,
Are you driving or public trans? That Jacob Riis park sounds great. I'm more familiar with CT shoreline so if you want to take the train from G.C. for 40-50 minutes I can give you some suggestions. Do you work all the time? Have weekends off?

edsly42
06-21-2003, 03:51 PM
i do not have a car and so i will be relying on public transportation. i work all week basically from 730-5 and have wkends off. im just looking for a spot to grab a few fish. even just schoolies. im getting a bad case of fishing withdrawal. thanks.
ed

FLYRODER
06-21-2003, 04:59 PM
A great place to fish is between the Triboro Bridge and the Hellgate Bridge in Astoria Park. Take the train to Queens last stop Ditmars Blvd or the stop before Hoyt Ave at the base of the Triboro. Then walk to the park climb down to the rocks(wear korkers).

ACE
06-21-2003, 08:27 PM
Post your e-mail address in your "user CP" above and I will e-mail you some directions.

sofly
06-22-2003, 11:53 AM
I thought I would throw my hat into this discussion. I just took a job in the city and will be living in Brooklyn. I'm keeping my car and looking forward to scoping out the spots. I've been fly fishing around Boston's North shore for the last few years.

I would love to hook up with anyone who wants to go out. I plan on hiring a guide at some point this season as well, so let me know if you have any recommendations. Or want to split the cost and join me as a second angler. Also, if you have a boat and are going out, I would happily provide gas money and refreshments for the open spot.

ikarus47
06-22-2003, 06:37 PM
Flyrodder,

I have tried that spot several times with no luck. Are there any techniques to watch out for? Sinking line? Particular tide?
I have had more luck on the opposite side under the Triborough...

If you prefer to E-mail: andi@nyc.rr.com,

Kind thanks,

Andreas.

edsly42
06-22-2003, 07:18 PM
I am also a student of fishing the boston area waters previously, south shore scituate to be particular. I am here for the next 6 weeks and would be happy to be a wingman scouting out spots if you could stand to have me. I have done some homework but i have yet to fish in the tristate area. let me know. epsylvester@amherst.edu.
ed

stevec
06-24-2003, 07:21 AM
The water by Astoria Park is fast. I have seen some big boats pass through there so I would assume its pretty deep. Maybe a quick sinking line would do the trick.
Just an idea.

FLYRODER
06-24-2003, 02:41 PM
BluesChaser intermediate line is still the workhorse there. But a fast sinking line is sometimes needed. There's some real nice fishable water there. But korkers are a must.