PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Merrimack skunking 5/31

--username-deleted--
06-01-2003, 01:58 AM
Fished the outgoing for a couple hours. Saw 4 or 5 caught from 12"-24", and one keeper of 29" taken by a guy on his first cast. 40 others on shore shared my biteless fate.

Same old song and dance for me, am beginning to truly wonder what's going on. 6 outings this week from the cape to NH, with not so much as a hit (except for the 'coon incident of course). Have tried tins, plastics, poppers, divers, jigs, a wide variety of bait...Seems I've never had a run as bad as this in 20+ years fishing. Talk about depressing.

Leighton

CMP
06-01-2003, 06:41 AM
Not 10 miles up the coast yesterday, it was happening just east of Rye. Had fish up to 30 pounds all over. One Rye charter boat limited out in no time...

CMP

ag1
06-01-2003, 08:13 AM
It's been very spotty this month. I've had two great days from shore at Plum and terrible results fishing Boston by boat. In past years it has been just the opposite. The lack of fish in Boston is troubling. Yesterday was a total bust.

I've checked my logs but couldn't find any reason why results are so poor this year. I'm no biologist, but I wonder if this past cold winter has had an effect on bait production, or perhaps certain types of bait. Then again, maybe we're just in a location-picking slump.

Al

lep
06-01-2003, 12:23 PM
probably not what you want to hear, but the fisihing at the mouth of the river, between the jetties, up to dead slack tide (~8pm) was fabulous. i fished saturday eve from 5 to 8 by boat, starting up-river adjacent to the draining Joppa flats. i was surprised that the river wasnt full of boats, as the night was real fishy. i moved to the end of the sandbar at the mouth, downtide in 13-16 feet of water and the sounder was just covered with arches. these fish were of all sizes, and i had several very large follows (30+in) behind my soft plastic bait (Tufcore Lance, leadhead). these fish would come up and bust bait from time to time, but most of my fish were caught tumbling the bait over the bar into the deeper water and the school of hungry bass. as the tide slacked and the ripwater disappeared, the staging bass appeared to disperse, and chase bait out towards the mouth on the surface. it appeared to be raining bass across the entire mouth. most of the fish were more finicky than i have seen yet this season, and so the unheaded, Texas rigged lance fished like a jerkbait, was superior. ended the night with a sore thumb, a big smile, and quite a few fish up to 29 inches.

lep

--username-deleted--
06-01-2003, 05:29 PM
On the contrary, I like hearing fish are being caught, even if not by me. But fate is bring so cruel to me (no, I'd not like any cheese with that whine, tyvm).--124-3.

Leighton

Bob Parsons
06-02-2003, 08:58 AM
I knew it would happen. Why people can not just leave a post along is beyound me. If you weren't there fishing the same tide, method, location then you can not make a comment about fish or not being present.:(