PDA

View Full Version : 6/3 What a day in CC Bay !!!!

riptide
06-03-2003, 02:28 PM
What an awesome morning in Cape Cod Bay! Capt. Joe and I put in at Barnstable Harbor and headed out looking for some action. We had no idea we what we were in for. We decided to look around for the schools of macks that had been in the area to see if any big fish had located them. During our search we ran into a huge flock of gulls hammering the water. Capt. Joe always said, big birds + big bait = BIG FISH! We struck gold. Right off the bat Capt. Joe is doubled over with a solid 36 fish that weighed mid to upper teens. I start throwing the big herring pattern that has been so productive with no luck. After 4 fish Capt Joe tells me that his rubber shad is blue and pearl. I switch to the blue version of my herring fly (Id been using olive) and immediately hit pay dirt. We go on doubled up with fish between 30 and 38 for over an hour. My big fish on the fly was a 38 that was in the low 20-pound range. I figured it was as good as I would get and decided to give my casting arm a break and throw the spinning rod for a while. It turned out to be the best decision I made this season. I fire the 4 blue/pearl shad into the melee and set the hook on something solid. The 66 Loomis is bend over and the 10# Trilene is sloooowly easing off the spool. This fish doesnt know hes hooked. After 4 or 5 minutes of this slow steady loss of line I decide I better put in the electric and start chasing this fish. I gain ground and after about 8 or 9 minutes I see a ton of color deep. I get the beast to within 10 of the boat and it decided it doesnt like the boat. Off with 60 yards of line without any effort. I tell Capt. Joe this looks like a hell of a fish. He grabs the hand gaff and stands bye. Another 10 minutes of dogging this fish on the bottom with a rod that just cant lift it. Finally after nearly 20 minutes we get the beast to the surface and Capt. Joe doesnt miss. The beast is 42 and we estimate the weight at better than 30#. Best of all its only around 8:30 AM! We put the boat in gear and drag the fish for several minutes with the lip gaff the fish would breath but it didnt have the strength to swim. Finally we decided that the fish would be coming home. It was bitter sweet to put that nice fish in the fish box. On one hand its the best fish Ive got so far this year. On the other, its a shame to kill such a great fish. We continued to hit them for another hour or so before the birds and fish broke up. We went over towards Wellfleet and Sesuit but only found some macks. We ended in Barnstable Harbor on the flats chasing some mid 20 fish that were skittish as hell. Around noon we decided wed had a great day and it was time to call it quits. The water was 55 to 56 degrees. The depth ranged from 17 to 26 and the wind was moderate. Blue was the color of choice. Blue herring flies and blue 4 shad on Kalins heads produced nearly all of the fish. Capt. Joe did get a few on topwater as well. A few bluefish we caught in the mix including one around 12#. Back on land around 1330, Nelson at Red Top confirmed the fish at 42 1/2 and 29 pounds. He figured that the live weight would have been in the low 30s. Overall a great day OTW with my Dad, you live for days like this and when you can share them with your father its just that much better.

http://www.riptidecharters.com/Bigstriper1.jpg

Bob Parsons
06-03-2003, 02:42 PM
Nice report Terry, Sounded like any awsome event. It also shows the problems one can experience with light tackle. A fish gets fought to the point of exhaustion and is destined to die. Not a problem if you can plan on keeping one, but if your strictly a catch and release person, it is something to consider when you have a big fish and the fight looks like it will be a long one.

riptide
06-03-2003, 04:10 PM
Your right Bob, when we realized the fish were as big as they were in the school I broke out a 7'er with 30# braid. The damn braid got tangled up and sent me back to the 6 1/2' It was adequate for most of the fish. It was a nice balance of sport and ability to land them. However the big one was a different story. After that long fight it was pretty obvious she was done in. Even with the motor on, dragging it along side the boat she just wasn't coming back the way we hoped. The good news is we had not kept any so we were able to take the fish and not let it go to waste. We also chose not to keep any more the rest of the day. That one fish will take care of me and my family for a while. No need to kill any more than we have to. I generally try to only keep bleeders and fish that are unlikely to survive. We catch enough fish that those unfortunate incidents happen enough that we don't have to keep a releasable fish. It works out well that way.

Punchshot
06-03-2003, 05:23 PM
GREAT FISH RIP:)

Duane A
06-03-2003, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the report Terry,I believe your reports that are much more truthfull then I've been seeing in the Fisherman Magazine.I have lost a lot of faith in the reports by the Charter Captains in the Fisherman .Please keep up the "Great Reports"
Tight Lines to You,Duane PS. Hope to see ya out there Saturday!

Yozuri-Man
06-04-2003, 06:04 AM
ummmmm, fattie.....

:p

saltyric
06-04-2003, 06:28 AM
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

riptide
06-04-2003, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Yozuri-Man
ummmmm, fattie.....

:p

Come on now ! I may be 5 or 10 pounds overweight but Fattie :p

Just kidding, BTW the fish had nothing in its stomach. Must have puked on the way to the boat. I really wanted to see what they were feeding on.

Roop
06-04-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Duane A
Thanks for the report Terry,I believe your reports that are much more truthfull then I've been seeing in the Fisherman Magazine.I have lost a lot of faith in the reports by the Charter Captains in the Fisherman .Please keep up the "Great Reports"
Tight Lines to You,Duane PS. Hope to see ya out there Saturday!

That's a great point.

Having been fortunate enough to have fished with Terry a few times I can say there's no fudge factor in his results. IF he says it happened, it happened... unless he say's I didn't catch fish bigger than his.

;)

Mark Cahill
06-04-2003, 08:48 AM
An awesome day, and there's a whole season of great days to come.

Congrats Terry!

riptide
06-04-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Roop
That's a great point.

Having been fortunate enough to have fished with Terry a few times I can say there's no fudge factor in his results. IF he says it happened, it happened... unless he say's I didn't catch fish bigger than his.

;)

What I said was you didn't catch ANY fish Jeff :o

scrimshaw
06-04-2003, 04:52 PM
Three years ago, I was also fortunate to have spent an morning fishing with Terry and his dad. We had a very off day, but I was immensely impressed by their professionalism and the effort they put in. Although we didn't have the luck he had had on the previous day, Terry posted the results of our trip, and pulled no punches. It was a memorable day, and although I was somewhat disappointed, it seemed Terry was even more so. The Nugent's are a class act all around

bdowning
06-04-2003, 06:13 PM
Nice report and judging from what I've seen in the Canal this past week, more that size and bigger are charging into the bay as we speak. Go get 'em and enjoy it while you can!

-bd